Locations with no power - security light

/ Locations with no power - security light #1  

BrianDT

Silver Member
We have multiple locations on our farm that have no power, but either house expensive equipment or we need light when we arrive. We also have multiple times when we need light at our pump stations when the power seems to completely fail due to an overload. I need about 15 of these types of light and my thought is to go with something solar powered. Something that can charge, even if the light is mounted indoors.

Here is what I have found on Amazon Sunforce 82080 80-LED Solar Motion Light

It seems to fit the bill....

Do my fellow TBN'ers have any ideas?

/ Locations with no power - security light #2  
Yup, worked for me.

I bought a HF version and it was very helpful till a windstorm blew the solar array off.

/ Locations with no power - security light #3  
We have multiple locations on our farm that have no power, but either house expensive equipment or we need light when we arrive. We also have multiple times when we need light at our pump stations when the power seems to completely fail due to an overload. I need about 15 of these types of light and my thought is to go with something solar powered. Something that can charge, even if the light is mounted indoors.

Here is what I have found on Amazon Sunforce 82080 80-LED Solar Motion Light

It seems to fit the bill....

Do my fellow TBN'ers have any ideas?

One thing about this unit is:

Batteries 1 Nonstandard Battery batteries required. (included)

Batteries do wear out in about 2 years or so. Where will you get a new one?

/ Locations with no power - security light
For the cost of that one, I would assume the complete would be replaced every few years.

/ Locations with no power - security light #5  
There are versions of this available lots of places now. Amazon has a number of them. I have a Harbor Freight light that has worked perfectly for almost two years. I think it has normal AA or AAA size batteries. I would definitely get one that has replaceable conventional rechargeable batteries.

/ Locations with no power - security light #6  
I really like my Mr. beams model MB393 solar lights 300 lumens runs off 4 D size batt..They have 3 packs on amazon for $69 bucks shipped.Great lights IMHO.

/ Locations with no power - security light #7  
Other folks have a good point about the replaceable batteries. But as you mentioned, at this cost, these things are almost disposable. Of course, if you tear into the unit, the chances are pretty good you find replacement batteries for it.

As I scrolled down on the page you linked to, I saw this one under the "People who bought..." section. Still has good reviews like the one you linked to, but has several more features for only a couple of bucks more. One of the good features is that you can set the amount of time that the light stays on - up to 10 minutes. That might be helpful for your buildings. It also has an "extension cord" that can go between the unit and the solar panel. That might also be handy for the ones that you want to mount inside.

/ Locations with no power - security light #8  
   / Locations with no power - security light #9  
I really like my Mr. beams model MB393 solar lights 300 lumens runs off 4 D size batt..They have 3 packs on amazon for $69 bucks shipped.Great lights IMHO.

Mr. Beams is pretty good stuff. I used the motion detector step lights along the path to the barn.

/ Locations with no power - security light
Well, I guess its worth a try then. I might buy a few of each and see what ones are better.