Locked Out

/ Locked Out #31  
I like not having the dimmer switch on the floor. In winter I track all manner of road salt in, and used to replace the floor switch every
few years.
We have so little road salt here that It never occurred to me it would destroy a dimmer. Now, I see a logical reason for putting the on the turn signal lever.

Last edited:
   / Locked Out #32  
Something I never heard of before, or even considered. I hate how big the key is for my 2012 F150, but I do like that the lock and unlock button are on it. Too bad they couldn't make the Efob, or electric key, the size of a credit card so it could attack to the back of a smart phone. It's a lot harder to lose a phone then a key.
Tesla does this. The fob is the size and shape of a credit card. You can also get the app on your phone so you do not need the card. But if there is no cell service or Elon's servers go down you need the card.

/ Locked Out #33  
Here is where they had to tow a Tesla without network access around the parking lot to get it to unlock and start. Must not have had the card.

/ Locked Out #34  
But, come on, the Power Wagon OM is 710 pages long.
Of course it is, they have to include every available option, coffee maker, massager, butt scratcher etc.....M

/ Locked Out #35  
Since so much of these "features" are computer controlled, use is logged and stored. Some of the data is only kept in the vehicle but some is sent to the car company and whoever they choose to sell the data too.

They know which door opens and closes. How fast you were driving. How hard you brake. Where you drive to and the route. How long you stay at a location. I think they know if someone is sitting in a seat and how much they weigh to know which air bag(s) to trigger. What data is kept, stored in the vehicle, uploaded to the company, and sold is up to the company.

Cell phones are spy devices. The new cars are also spy devices.

My truck is over two decades old and things are wearing out. I sure don't want to buy a new car from a money perspective, but the more I learn about the "features" in the new vehicles, the less I want one.

Later,
Dan

/ Locked Out #36  
I noticed since purchasing vehicles with keyless entry that there are less opportunities to lose a key. The keyless fob is put in your pocket at the beginning of the day and never removed. You would only lose it if you are standing on your head or have a giant hole in your pocket. I work at a job where I make dozens of stops in a day in a car with an old fashioned key and every time I remove the key from my pocket there is a higher risk of losing it. Fortunately after driving for 50 years I have never lost a key.

/ Locked Out #37  
But don't give me that old saw - "you should read your OM". When I have a concern - I do. But, come on, the Power Wagon OM is 710 pages long. And they seem to have a sneaky way of including potentially important material. After looking at 40 or 50 pages - I tend to get VERY sleepy.
And how much of that manual is taken up by warnings not to operate it while drunk/stoned/on drugs, or not to open the door while driving at highway speeds? :rolleyes:
I'd say a good 40% of the manual for my ATV is this nonsense.
I noticed since purchasing vehicles with keyless entry that there are less opportunities to lose a key. The keyless fob is put in your pocket at the beginning of the day and never removed. You would only lose it if you are standing on your head or have a giant hole in your pocket. I work at a job where I make dozens of stops in a day in a car with an old fashioned key and every time I remove the key from my pocket there is a higher risk of losing it. Fortunately after driving for 50 years I have never lost a key.
Meh. They're kind of bulky, and you still need to take it out to lock/unlock. Still easy to put someplace at the end of the day and forget where you put it. I do this constantly with my wallet.
Granted, modern keys with the RFID in them are the same way.
Don't think I've ever lost a key either.

/ Locked Out #38  
And how much of that manual is taken up by warnings not to operate it while drunk/stoned/on drugs, or not to open the door while driving at highway speeds? :rolleyes:
I'd say a good 40% of the manual for my ATV is this nonsense.

Meh. They're kind of bulky, and you still need to take it out to lock/unlock. Still easy to put someplace at the end of the day and forget where you put it. I do this constantly with my wallet.
Granted, modern keys with the RFID in them are the same way.
Don't think I've ever lost a key either.
You don't need to take it out of your pocket to lock/unlock. You don't understand how keyless works. When you touch the handle to open it, the door unlocks. Lock it by touching the top of the handle. Put the key same place when you get home and it won't get lost.

/ Locked Out #39  
I wish automakers would standardize...some have the switch on the turn signal, others have a separate stalk on the right side of the column. Some have a knob, others the lever moves.
On my company Silverado, the wipers are on the left with the signal lights. My Colorado has a floor shifter, so the wipers are on the right. I wouldn't dare to guess how many times I've jumped into it on Saturday after driving the company truck all week, and washing the windshield when I want to shift it into gear. Both trucks are 2018 models.

/ Locked Out #40  
It seemed like a good idea until I discovered I could no longer lock the vehicle?? Apparently, the vehicle thought the hidden e-fob was inside and, as a safety measure, prevented the door locks from working.
Remove the battery from the fob before storing it and the fob in the box. Just make sure you put some painter's tape around the battery first.