Traction Locking front differential?

/ Locking front differential? #11  
Strictly a question: Why would 4wd refer technically to machines with equally sized tires? What did you mean there ?
Front wheel assist refers to machines with driven smaller front wheels. 4wd tractors are the big articulating ones with equal sized front & rear wheels. 2wd ones are pretty easily identified & not confused or debated.

Not quite sure why that is & not everybody follows that terminology, but most manufacturers do.

The debate & confusion has been going on for decades... Front wheel assist.....Four wheel ... - Yesterday's Tractors

/ Locking front differential? #12  
Understand. Not "settled law" but probably most common usage of the terms.

Somewhat similar to cars and SUVs where AWD means all-wheel drive which means you have no control over the feature while 4WD means there is a way to shut it on and off at least and there is some degree of control over the feature.

/ Locking front differential? #13  
My M5030DT is built like a tank. Has front autolocking differential. With hilly East Tennessee makes a huge difference.
View attachment 590825
Hillside mowing, turning uphill and loader operations are greatly enhanced and unnoticed until you try the same with a tractor without it. L3800 and M59 don稚 have it. Not sure what tractors have the locking front diff now and didn稚 get much help from the dealer. Was hoping the M59 could replace the M5030. The older tractor is a real puller. I know tires make difference.
View attachment 590818
Grooving the front R4 tires of M59 helped traction.
Maybe I need to quit climbing mountains.

Most current Kubota FWA tractors have limited slip front differentials, though some have locking type.

Computer controlled, hydraulically locking front differentials are used on many "deluxe" FWA farm tractors to provide automatic 4 wheel braking on steep surfaces and/or when the brakes are applied.

SDT

/ Locking front differential? #14  
Front wheel assist refers to machines with driven smaller front wheels. 4wd tractors are the big articulating ones with equal sized front & rear wheels. 2wd ones are pretty easily identified & not confused or debated.

Not quite sure why that is & not everybody follows that terminology, but most manufacturers do.

The debate & confusion has been going on for decades... Front wheel assist.....Four wheel ... - Yesterday's Tractors
The only thing I want to add is, front wheel assist refers to the crappy john deer front "hydraulic drive" that deere had for a time. MFWD is the term used for tractors with different size tires on one end.

As I said above, my farm tractor has a "front" diff. lock. It's engaged by pushing a foot petal, just like the rear diff. lock is actuated.

SR

/ Locking front differential? #16  
No center differential.

For sure. I think the various passenger vehicles on paved highways use the center differential to avoid wear, binding and various adverse behavior where there is much less surface slippage compared to farm tractors and where the number of revolutions that might occur while in 4WD is huge compared to tractors. Of course the automotive "AWD" cases have the system in effect all of the time or potentially all of the time so they must have the center differential. The specs on every 4WD (or MFWD) tractor set of tire sizes front vs back are of course predicated on some amount of acceptable slippage between tire and surface in typical operation. None of those are 'perfect' and I think most users would agree that their tractor does not"coast" as easily in 4WD as it does in 2WD, mostly for that imperfect ratio reason.

/ Locking front differential? #17  
The only thing I want to add is, front wheel assist refers to the crappy john deer front "hydraulic drive" that deere had for a time. MFWD is the term used for tractors with different size tires on one end.

As I said above, my farm tractor has a "front" diff. lock. It's engaged by pushing a foot petal, just like the rear diff. lock is actuated.

SR

JD & other brand tractors with hyd assist FWD were called HFWA or HFWD while the frt wheel assist with a driveshaft to frt axle is known as MFWA or MFWD with M representing mechanical

/ Locking front differential?
I’m no expert. The M5030DT doesn’t cut the ground in 4wd anymore than the L3800 or M59. It’s not like locking the rear differential. When turning up hill the tractor weight is basically on two wheels. No problem for the M5030. The other two tractors you spin opposite tires of the two axles and have to engage the rear differential lock. Guess I didn’t know how rare this is.
Had a front axle wheel gearcase leak and clicking sound from the front axle. Took it Kubota dealer. Mechanic used the loader to lift the axle off the ground. Rotated one wheel and the other wheel turned the same. “Buddy you got something major wrong”. I explained the locking differential and offered to go back and get the shop manual. They took it apart, replaced all seals and found no damage. Clicking was from low oil. $700 some of the seals are high. Wish my M59 had this feature.

/ Locking front differential? #19  
Most current Kubota FWA tractors have limited slip front differentials, though some have locking type.

Computer controlled, hydraulically locking front differentials are used on many "deluxe" FWA farm tractors to provide automatic 4 wheel braking on steep surfaces and/or when the brakes are applied.

SDT
None of the Grand Ls have any locker or limited slip up front. Couldnt say for any of the bigger machines. I believe its reasonably common on the bigger 100+ HP type machines & 4wd articulated monsters of all brands. 20 years ago lots of the big John Deeres had a radar speedometer that calculated wheel slip against a standard speedometer. It gets much more important on the big machines to not wear out tires & maximize fuel economy doing field work all day.

/ Locking front differential?
Kubota manual calls these a NOSPIN front axle. Are there any newish Kubota tractors in the 40-70hp range with NOSPIN front axle? It gives remarkable improvement in traction. Enhanced loader operation.