loft sizing

/ loft sizing #1  

gws

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar ym1810
I want to add a small hay loft over a tack area in my stables.
Entire tack area is 12 x 8, but usable loft area due to slope of roof is about 8x8ft.

What size lumber for the joist do I need to span 8ft? Will 2x6 joist be enough? How about 2x8. Keep in mind I am looking at maybe 20 bales of hay max. Also what spacing with 24" oc work or will I need to go to 16" oc.

/ loft sizing #2  
The barn on my girl friends place only had 2x6 spanding 14 ft on 4 foot centers. The floor is made of 2x6s with about 1 to 2 inch gaps. The headroom is about 5 ft. We have put hay about 5 bales tall in here, but we worry about. I certainly don't recommend going this light, I didn't build the barn, she bought it before we started going together. I plan on reinforce it by at least doubling the number of floor joices.

Larry

/ loft sizing #3  
2X6 on 24" centers will work, but given the small area, I'd do it on 16" centers as the additional cost is negligible and the floor will be a lot stiffer. Deck it w/3/4" underlayment and you'll have a nice surface to store your bales on.

/ loft sizing #4  
I'd use 2x8's or 2x10's and go 16" on centers. All of ours that we build are 2x12's with 16" on center.

/ loft sizing #5  
An old carpenters rule of thumb is 6 ft. span 2x6, 8 ft. span 2x8, 10 ft. span 2x10 etc.

I would think 2x8 would be plenty and if you just added some 2x6's, since it is just hay I think you would be fine.