Log Arch - Homemade

/ Log Arch - Homemade
Seems to me that raising the back of the log and then lowering the 3pt and then chaining the front of the log before raising the 3pt to clear the ground is a lot of back and forth.
Why not put another winch to lift the front. That way you pull over the log, lift both ends and put on the safety chains and go. Only out of the seat once and no raising and lowering of the 3pt

To do that, the 2nd winch would have to be off center or under the frame. I'm not sure I want to place a winch off center. I don't want to install one under the frame where the log will be. You're correct though, my original plan does have a lot of back and forth movement.

/ Log Arch - Homemade #12  
I hate to sound stupid, but I'm not sure what you mean by limiting the upward travel of the 3 pt. Are you referring to pulling from too high above the axles and thus causing the tractor to pull a wheelie? I don't plan to pull regular trailers with it, but if I do, I'll be sure to keep the 3 pt low (at axle height).

Not stupid at all...

There is NO downpressure on your 3PH. You can lower it all the way and lift the arms up by hand-try it.

SO, if the majority of the logs weight is aft the axles on your arch (think tail heavy) then the tongue of your arch will become very light and the 3PH can raise up.

/ Log Arch - Homemade
I think it looks great and have been thinking of building one myself. You;ll find out right away if its not tall enough, but I would think no problem for your average 20" log. Do you have any idea what the weight capacity is? The steel looks heavy enough, and I like the tires. Any idea where you got these from and the diameter of the axels. Also curious what it ended up costing you for materials. Best of luck with it, I imagine you will be painting it JD green.:)

I'm not sure what the weight capacity is, but I'm confident the steel is plenty large enough for the logs I'll move. I don't remember the weight capacity of the wheels and axles, but my friend told me they are heavy duty and should pose no problem at all. He purchased all the hardware from Agri supply including the wheels and tires. The tires are for a gator. The total material cost was $881.00. It's a lot cheaper than any of the comparable log arches I've seen for sale. The arch is 9' long and I don't remember how wide it is. It's at my property an hour away and I'm stuck working open to close every day now for an unknown number of days until my employee who watches my store is able to come back to work from her surgery recovery (knee replacement), so I'll have to wait a while until I can try it out and give you guys some new updates.

Yes, I'm painting it John Deere Green.:D

/ Log Arch - Homemade
Not stupid at all...

There is NO downpressure on your 3PH. You can lower it all the way and lift the arms up by hand-try it.

SO, if the majority of the logs weight is aft the axles on your arch (think tail heavy) then the tongue of your arch will become very light and the 3PH can raise up.

Ok, I know what you mean now. I plan to have a majority of the log weight closer to the tractor with relation to the axles of the arch. that should provide down pressure on the hitch.

/ Log Arch - Homemade #15  
This is one I put together for my quad. I made a much larger one for my tractor many years ago and sold it to a fellow that just had to have it. It used a pto driven winch I put together, and had hydralic cyclinder to dump it.

this one does it all with the boat winch on it. I think I posted before, but here you go.

I got to looking at where you have that reciever hooked. If you put another one right at the bottom, you could lift your 3pt all the way up and the hight of the tongue would be about the same as it is now. That would eliminate the chance of it raring up. You need to make it a solid as posible, I you happened to have any bodypart over that tongue and it came up all of a sudden while winching or whatever it could be painful.

Just my personal experience, and I have used these behind everything from my quad to D8 cats, when and if you decide to get a bit more hight, put it in the angle above the tires to spread them a bit also. A footprint the width of your tractor will be safer, and if possible, put a round reciever shaft on your 3pt hitch. Run it through it so it will turn 360 degrees. An inch and a half pipe with a saft that will fit it nicely with a bit of grease, you will be glad you did. If you turn it over, and you will at some point, it won't hurt the tractor or bend up you hitch setup.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,503
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 8,572
   / Log Arch - Homemade #16  
I was looking at you winch and how it runs over the pully at the rear. What I had in mind was one mounted facing the other way running over another pully. Of course it would have to be aligned to clear the rail but if you mounted it on one of the cross bars where your safety chain hooks are that would be the ideal place to mount in.

/ Log Arch - Homemade
Well I painted it and decided to include some updated photographs of it. I have not yet painted the wheels (JD yellow), but will do so sometime this summer. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet either. I've been too busy with timber stand improvement and planting warm season grasses and wild flowers to complete a couple cost share agreements I have with the IDNR. Hopefully I'll get to use it soon.

Attachments

• arch 1 re-sized.JPG
    arch 1 re-sized.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 2,378
  • arch 2 re-sized.JPG
    arch 2 re-sized.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,036
  • arch 3 re-sized.JPG
    arch 3 re-sized.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 3,693
   / Log Arch - Homemade #19  
This one I finished a while back. Had no problem picking a 3 footer off the ground and skidding it. It was only about 20ft long though. I did use a larger set of tongs though. I have since put a line on the winch. It is a bit slow as it is a lower geared winch than the one in my loader and the hyd motor is a bit larger, but boy, will it pull.

Attachments

• P1020888(1).JPG
    P1020888(1).JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 1,457
  • P1020889.JPG
    P1020889.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 1,371