Log Cabins, Good or Bad ???

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #11  
<font color="blue"> if it settles that much in country with probably halfway stable soil -- what's it gonna do on your black gumbo? </font>

"Settling" is probably a bad term, although it is the term used by the crafters. It's not the foundation that settles, its the logs compressing and shrinking as they dry down. "Kit homes" minimize this by kiln drying the logs prior to use in production but even then, they still settle to some degree. The shrinking is actually what makes swedish cope weather tight and why chinking isn't used.

My wife never shared my dream of a log home, she already knew what I would learn from helping her parents, i.e. log homes are a long term commitment and a whole 'lota work to maintain.

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #12  
Hometime had a series of shows dedicated to building a log cabin from the ground up. I watched it and was amazed by what had to be done due to the movement of the materials used. It's available on tape and may be worth a look even before hiring someone else to build it for you. Here's the link;

http://www.hometime.com/store2/v_4044.htm

Hope this helps!

Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #13  
As mentioned before, Popeye, check everything out ahead of time. My business leads me to ask if you priced home insurance. It's not readily available for log homes, and ANY home insurance in Texas is getting EXPENSIVE!

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #14  
<font color="blue"> you priced home insurance. It's not readily available for log homes </font>

Excellent point. It took 8 months of lawyers to get the insurance company to payout following my in-laws fire. The adjuster honestly believed that they could simply scrape the char off of the logs and reuse the basic structure. Once they agreed it was a total loss they only wanted to pay the "replacement" cost that they believed was about $50,000. They didn't understand the home that they agreed to insure (which is why it's difficult to find an insurer).

That $50,000 price was a kit home which was for the exterior log walls only, it did not include the roof, finished interior, electrical, windows, etc, etc. or the labor to put it up. Before building their new home they found a new insurer who had experience with log homes. And as Jazzdad mentioned, insurance on a log home is more expensive than on a conventional structure.

Lots of things to consider, no wonder Popeye is unsure about building his cabin.

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #15  
popeye we had a log home built by Satterwhite about 11 yrs ago_Ours is more efficent in the winter,it does hold the heat.All we heat with in the winter is the Country Flame wood stove.As far as the hot summer I think it costs about as much to cool as a regular house.There is a little more maintenance on them compared to a conventional house.I just have porches on the front and rear.Wish I would of had a wrap around porch made.I have since built a porch on our southside,maybe the north side later on.We had trouble with our fireplace settling on the northside.Perma Jack came in and did there thing and have not had any more problems.When we use to go to Colorado I fell in love with log homes so I had one built.They put up the shell and we finished out the inside.But if I had it to do over I think I would build a conventional house.

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ???
They are real logs from trees that have already died out of Colorado. Moisture content on them after drying for 2 years is 10-12%. My agent that insures my home here will insure it.
I have been doing some research into log cabin siding. Pine is $19.00 for a 16 footer. Haven't been able to get a price for cedar yet. Satterwhite is the log cabin builder I am leaning towards, but the more details I find out about a log home the scarier it gets. Bad part about it is I've got three women who are dead set on a log cabin. "They are so cute!" and they don't want a city house in the country.
Mike

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #17  
Popeye - As much as I like the looks of a log home, our plans for building our house in the country are to build a "traditional" farm style home with wrap around porch that we sit out on and rock away our twilight years. Except when I am on the tractor of course. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #18  
Three? Wow, you had better build 'em what they want then, just to keep all your basses covered! I wouldn't gather any more information, if I was you, as it may just confound the issue when the decision is already made at a "higher" level. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding, but good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #19  
My 9" swedish cope log home has been up for almost two years now. The manufacturer also claimed a 10-15% moisture content. I haven't noticed much shrinkage and have been quite pleased with them so far. It is a lot of work to maintain this kind of house, but it is a lifestyle and I wouldn't change a thing. The only problem I've had is carpenter bees. Just keep plenty of wasp spray on hand. A log home is a big committment to upkeep, but when people pull around my driveway and their jaws drop at the sight of my house, I can smile and say yep, thats the way I live.

/ Log Cabins, Good or Bad ??? #20  
<font color="blue"> "settling" comments were due to the wood logs drying out and shrinking </font>
makes sense - but never thought about it - all I've ever heard is that log homes are constant maintenance - and that's not what I'm looking for in a retirement home! Metal roof and stone exterior is my idea - 100 year roof and no painting. hopefully retirement will mean -- gimme a big porch, a little breeze, and a Shiner bock and I'm in heaven -- /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif