log splitter attachment. Yes or no

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #51  
Boy, has this thread gone downhill:eek:

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #52  
Heat with corn? That means you're raising the cost of Tequila and all our other food products. You know that they're (mexico) not planting agave because the stupid americans give them more for corn than tequila? or something like that. Ethanol. Great idea for people that don't need it. Is that what we're talking about?

Jake

Here is what I am talking about.

Welcome to cornstove.ca

Ours is in it's 20th season. The corn we buy is triple cleaned, dried to 14%, and the stove burns to 98.7% efficiency, so it is extremely enviro friendly. No shortage of corn up here, so that is not a worry. :) And with the fact that we do not want any more fuel sources than necessary, that is why the 3pt log splitter. We put legs on it, so it does not tie up the tractor, just back up, or get close, hook up, and we are good to go.

Over the long haul, an OHV 4 stroke will not run as clean, as long as the diesel will, and also running on low rpm's os a;sp a big plus.

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #53  
If the 11gpm figures are right the 24gpm figures are not -- and vice versa. Could you please check this?:)
larry

Larry
I 'm not really running 24 gpm as I only run the engine at 2/3 throttle, @ 2000 rpm which would give me @ 16 gpm, I'd need to run 3000 rpm to pump 24 gpm.
I did try to time it a few strokes at both throttle setting but I don't recall the exact numbers, but I could check again. But I'm sure its sub 10 seconds at the lower rpm. I should also check peak pressure wwhen splitting but I'm sure its not to high as the motor barely changes tone.
A 4" cylinder would split a 4 way wedge in the ash I have. But it don't take long to back up turn the block a 1/4 turn and hit it again. Most of the time it splits with 2" or so of penetration.
I'm not sure why anyone would need a 5" or 6" cylinder, unless you have very tough wood or are trying to run it off a 30+ gpm pump
Ken

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #54  
A bushel of corn/day. Holy Cow- we pay $10/bushel at the co-op for corn. I have lived here(80 acres) for 9yrs and have heated our home with deadfalls all that time. Makes a $300 chainsaw seem cheap.....

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #55  
A bushel of corn/day. Holy Cow- we pay $10/bushel at the co-op for corn. I have lived here(80 acres) for 9yrs and have heated our home with deadfalls all that time. Makes a $300 chainsaw seem cheap.....

It will not use that much. When we got ours it was turned up to high, and the corn was flowing in too fast, so we turned it down, what a difference. 55 pounds in 24 hours on the coldest of days. Oil and gas will not come close to heating as cheap.

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #56  
An overlooked advantage of a 3pt. splitter is that no one will ask to borrow it ;)...

Au Contrair... I let someone borrow my splitter and it came back with a busted hose and fitting. Mine is set up to run off my backhoe pump, when he hooked it up and turned on the PTO the pump set there spinning.

If you have 2 tractors the 3 pH is fine; but for me it would be nice to winch the trees out, cut and split them without the need to switch implements. Mine will be converted by next spring.

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #57  
Boy, has this thread gone downhill:eek:

Threads always go downhill. If you start at the bottom and work your way up, it gets to be pointless because you always know the answers before you get the questions...

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #58  
Here is what I am talking about.

Welcome to cornstove.ca

Ours is in it's 20th season. The corn we buy is triple cleaned, dried to 14%, and the stove burns to 98.7% efficiency, so it is extremely enviro friendly. No shortage of corn up here, so that is not a worry. :) And with the fact that we do not want any more fuel sources than necessary, that is why the 3pt log splitter. We put legs on it, so it does not tie up the tractor, just back up, or get close, hook up, and we are good to go.

Over the long haul, an OHV 4 stroke will not run as clean, as long as the diesel will, and also running on low rpm's os a;sp a big plus.

Will, I guess that stove makes sense for you. Thanks for straightening me out on it. I'm not convinced on the splitter tho, those hondas start on the first pull and the convience factor seems worse with the hose hookups... Jake

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #59  
Will, I guess that stove makes sense for you. Thanks for straightening me out on it. I'm not convinced on the splitter tho, those hondas start on the first pull and the convience factor seems worse with the hose hookups... Jake

Thanks. We went corn because oil prices are equal to rape up here, and natural gas is getting close to that also. Plus, we live out in the sticks, and even if gas was here, I do not think hooking up would ever happen. So a wood & corn combo works for us.

Do they start first pull even in the cold??

/ log splitter attachment. Yes or no #60  
Thanks. We went corn because oil prices are equal to rape up here, and natural gas is getting close to that also. Plus, we live out in the sticks, and even if gas was here, I do not think hooking up would ever happen. So a wood & corn combo works for us.

Do they start first pull even in the cold??

Once they're warmed up they do (which I guess means no). If there was a clutch they would, but you're fighting the stiff oil in the pump on the actual first couple pulls. It was 17F this morning here. What do you have, a bin for the corn? Buy by the bag or truckload or what?

Jake