log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #1  

mlh29

Tractor
Kubota B2710hst, Kubota zd323
I am at a loss here. I am AD MIL currently deployed to OEF, due for Rand R 2 week leave in a week or so. Need to finish/ start troubleshooting my project as I need to split firewood during my vactaion to keep my family warm.

My splitter is a designed and built by me with stuff I had or got for cheap, all quality items, just looked for bargains.

It is designed to be a 3pt stand alone splitter with outriggers and feet so it may stay nextto the wood pile so I may use my B2710 for other stuff.

Kubota diesel electric start 6 HP ish engine with electric start( got with less than 4 hrs on it when it was removed from an industrial air compressor to use a gas engiine instead)
13.6 haldex pump( ebay 55)
4x30x1.75 tie rod cylinder 3000 psi( ebay 95 )
prince log splitter valve
8 gallon hydraulic tank with suction strainer in tank( this may be the issue)
Northern tool spin on return filter, 1/2 inch hyd hoses for all but return and suction

Issue I have is it is SLOW in /out cycle under zero load is 1 min plus
Sometimes will build 3000 psi with ram stopped behind a log( wont split) So I know the pressure is there...

Had extra cylinder ) prince 4x30 that I used to rule out bad cylinder ( didnt speed up or split any better)
Also tried a 16 gpm pump with little to no improvement, other than being too large for my diesel engine( could really put a load on it when 2nd stage engaged.
Splitter is back to origina config.

I want to keep the eng/pump/ cyl combo but would like it to be faster...

Thinking obstruction in Flow but didnt have chance to check everything... as it was Feb in N NY without a garage ...

Need ideas on this , possibly a pump adjustment ( factory preset settings on both the 13.6 and 16 gpm, Valve adjustment? Or just maybe wrong suction strainer( too restrictive?) 1/2 inch hydraulic lines too small?, but ports on pump and cylindr are 1/2

Also I used to have American cls log splitters right down the road and witnessed their 4x30 with 16 gpm pumps running a ton faster than mine, and cylinder is same spec...

Advice would be appreciated. Have a little spare cash to play with, just limited time.. Plan on improvising a tempp resevoir to check out flow with a 5 al pail of hydro fluid and some spare hoses...

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #2  
Hi! I dont know If I read 1/2 in. In suction . This is not enough I have one inch Between tank and my Hyd Pump. I prefer one stage pump. Mine is 8 gpm all the time. Some two stages drop at 4 gpm . If you can. put your oil tank more high than your pump. On mine One cycle go and back is 11 sec. but I have only 12 in stroke cylinder. Good luck! Oldmech

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED
I am running a 2 stage 13.6 gpm pump. Suction is 1 inch heavy duty steel reinforced hydraulic suction line. Pump is lower than Tank, and is a short distance between them.
Thanks

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #4  
HI! On some two stage pump you can adjust the first stage pressure. At 3000lbs your two stage pump give about 4 gpm . But with no load 13 gpm . Is your valve a 20 gpm . or less. For suction you dont need high pressure hose. Short and large is better. I add a pict Good Luck Oldmech

Attachments

• GRIadap3.JPG
    GRIadap3.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 955
yes I think it is either an obstruction in the lines, or the pump is stuck in the 2nd stage ( low flow) I know I didnt need high pressure for the suction, but I wanted something reinforced and petroleum rated and they had aleft over/ cutoff at the hydralic shop for 5 bucks so I picked it up. . Honestly had looked at clear nylon reinforced hose from lowes used for water lines, etc. but it was not petro rated. The suction intake on my pump is only 1 inch or I would have went bigger.

Looks like you have a pto driven pump on your tractor. I just use the 3pt t pick up my setup, it is basically a normal small engine powered setup without wheels ( intentionally, so it will never get borrowed while I am gone) so it must be moved with a tractor

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #6  
first of all thanks for you service... you are on the right track when checking the pump flow, the pump may build pressure but have enough internal leakage so as to cause your problem. the best way to check is with a flow meter, this way you can check the rated pump flow at the rated operating pressures, i have tested pumps that will build the proper flow at low pressure but the flow drops off when you increase the pressures. Jim

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #7  
Hi! I dont know . I Think all is Ok in your system Except one thing . Is your engine 3000 rpm. some industrial engine are 2 to 1 ratio If your engine turn 1800 rpm your hyd. pump give half flow. 6.7 gpm and 2 gpm. I just buy a used Kubota OC 60 . very expensive When new 2K. Good Luck Oldmech

The engine I have is the Kubota OC 60 E3 , 3600 rpm, I do not think it is a gear reduction as it was a simple pulley system, running a large air compressor, most gear reduction engines I have worked with were always on cement mixers and cement skimmer/ levelers

Where did you find a Kubota OC 60 used? I have been looking for another as I think they are great engines..

I am going to check the flow from tank to pump, all hoses and fittings, maybe have a bad fitting or something, Used all TSC fittngs on it maybe one is restricted. Or maybe a bad log splitter valve... Even good name brand stuff has a lemon every now an then

I just hope it is something simple, .. Maybe sped is not in the equation with the 30 stroke cylinder, ?

Last edited:
   / log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #9  
Hi! I buy the used engine at a Kubota dealer. I paid the repair bill (new starter etc) mine is Oc 60-2 . I find the workshop manual at www.tradebit.com for less ten dollars.
I think the trouble is between Hyd. pump and the cylinder. You have restriction because low flow and high pressure. Do you have some snapcoupler. May be a bad fitting. Bad hose .Check hose connection at valve . The return circuit at tank. Good luck ! Oldmech

/ log splitter help HOME MADE. DESIGNED #10  
Install a 3000 psipressure gage.

Increase size of suction hose, and should be a stiff hose so as not to collapse.

Tank suction strainer if you continue to use it, should be about 100 microns. and kept clean. A return filter of 10 to 25 microns.

Is the valve rated for the pump flow?

Remove the return hose at the return filter and place in a bucket and check flow, for 6 sec # of gal x 6 for GPM's. Should figure out to 13.6 GPM's if pump, hoses and valves are correct.

Look through each fitting to make sure it is not a restricted fitting.

At 13.6 GPM's

Extension should be 7.71 sec.

Retract should be 5.76 sec.

At 4 GPM's

Extend----25 sec

Retract----20 sec

Last edited: