Log Splitter Hydraulic Conveyer & Propulsion System

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Conveyer & Propulsion System #1  

ProfessorGT

I'm in the process of planning a wood splitter build, and will most likely be modeling a conglomeration of these two designs:

Firewood Splitter Videos

Whitlands Engineering : WS 300/400/450

I originally planned a horizontal machine, but after seeing these models I'm convinced that a properly designed VERTICAL machine is the way to go.

The log lift, comfortable working height/position inherent to standing at a table, conveyor, and possibly the addition of a self-propelling system all are very attracitve to me.:thumbsup:

So, in planning this machine, my question is can anyone out there help me with the hydraulics to power the conveyor, and a drive axle. I've thought about using a hydraulic motor to drive the pinion of an automotive rear axle assembly for propelling the unit.:)

I've got the splitting cylinder, lift cylinder, pump & valves handled, but I don't know anything about how to properly spec out a hydraulic motor, and how it will effect the existing hydraulic system. Will I need to go with a larger pump? Should I use a selector valve to turn the drive unit on and off? How do I reverse the drive motor on the axle?, and so on?

I currently have a 4 X 24 X 2 splitting cylinder and am planning on using a 2-stage 16gpm pump.

Please if anyone can point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Hydraulic Conveyer & Propulsion System #2  
I have never seen a two stage hyd pump run a hyd motor. I am not saying it can't be done. To reverse a hyd motor, a simple motor valve, or a solenoid motor valve to control the flow of fluid. You need to figure the amount of torque, and rpm that you need for the conveyor. What size engine will you be using?

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Conveyer & Propulsion System
JJ

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was planning on a 12hp engine, although it's overkill for the planned pump, that was before wanting to add the extra hydraulics. What would your recommendations be? I have no idea of what the torque requirement/rpm for either the conveyor drive or the axle drive need to be.

/ Log Splitter Hydraulic Conveyer & Propulsion System #4  
Videos wouldn't load for me so I have a couple of questions.

1) Will the conveyor be running all the time you are splitting or only when the splitting cylinder is not moving?

2) Conveyor speed and torque required will have to be estimated before a motor can be sized.

3) You will also need the speed and torque for thedrive axle to size a motor.

Depending on your answers you may be looking at double pump system one for the splitting cylinder and one for the conveyor and drive motor.