log splitter not splitting well this year.

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Hi guys.
My 20pluus year old homemade splitter is on the fritz.It has a old 5 hp briggs,11 gpm 2 stage pump,auto detent handle pretty basic.It always worked great but now its not.It doesnt seem to want to shift down to the more powerful pump mode and refuses to split logs it should and always has easy.Thinking it was the pump,i replaced it with a brand new one.It still does it .Iscrewed with the relief on the detent handle ,no help,tryed tweeking the relief on the pump,no help.Iam full of clean oil,with a new filter.Nothing on the machine seems to be binding,the pump -engine shaft seems to line up proper,im kind of lost now.Could my engine be getting weak.It starts easy and runs great,but should i check the compression?Could the cylindar have something wrong inside.Is there something that can wear out on these joysticks?The pumps just dont want to shift.ANY ADVICE FOR ME GUYS?
ALAN

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #2  
Is the engine bogging down? Just before mine "shifts" the motor will start to strain. If it's not doing that then I would look at the spool valve. When in the neutral position the fluid will freely flow back to the tank. If there's a problem inside it maybe you're just not building up any pressure.

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #3  
Install a hyd pressure gage and take some readings.

The pump will shift modes based on the pressure.

Does the engine seem to be running at full throttle?

The relief on your valve might need cleaning.

The pressure readings should clue you in on the problem.

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #4  
Check the cylinder for leaking piston seals. To check the seals extend the ram all the way. Shut off engine and with control valve in the neutral position remove the hose going from the ram end of the cylinder to the valve, at the valve. Place the end of the hose in a bucket and place a rag over the valve openning.
Start the engine. In the neutral position very slight or no fluid should come out of the openning of the valve. Next move the valve to the extend position, little to no fluid should come out of the hose. If fluid comes out of the hose this is a sign that the cylinder piston seals are bad.

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #5  
I agree with JJ.

If something is bypassing (weak relief , worn seals) then the pump wont shift because it wont build enough pressure. A gauge and getting some readings is the place to begin

/ log splitter not splitting well this year.
i WILL TRY TO BUILD OR BY A TEST GAUGE.Any thoughts on that and what need,and is there a kit with multiple fittings available

For giggles i did a compression test on the engine 90lbs im assuming thats good on a 5hp briggs?

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #8  
i WILL TRY TO BUILD OR BY A TEST GAUGE.Any thoughts on that and what need,and is there a kit with multiple fittings available

Dont need much, just a STEEL "T" of your line size, an adapter to go from T size to gauge size, and the 3000 psi gauge itself. Depending on your setup you may need at least 1 nipple as well.

Thats the basics, you can go up from there with hoses between the T and the gauge etc.

/ log splitter not splitting well this year. #9  
ditto what the others said.

before I would have thrown parts at it i would have done some investigation.

first a pressure check.. then pending that.. check out the spool...

I got a gauge ,neighbor said it wasnt big enough,only went to 2000 psi so im still stuck.Took the spool valve apart saw nothing wrong.Took my cylandar off got the end cap with wiper off,got the clip out ,could not get the end out -almost probably stuck out a good inch,cant see no burr.can i push the rod and end way in and heat up the tube with a torch to aid in removal?Iput a case hardend bolt in the rod end and beat the snot out of it ,but just cant quite get it help
ALAN