Log Splitter Problems

/ Log Splitter Problems #11  
Make sure that the hydraulic filter _is not plugged or dirty_. One of the problems of using a suction filter is that if they are dirty then they starve the pump for oil. This may or may not lead to damage of the pump, but it is always A BAD THING. A hydraulic Guru will insist that you use a filter with a pressure relief bypass on your _low pressure_ return line to the tank because the worst thing that it will ever do is go into bypass when it clogs up.

I know that somebody will say "but isn't it better to filter the oil BEFORE it goes in the pump?"

NO it is not. The risk of a clog is too great.

I was told all of this by a guy that is much smarter about hydraulics than me.

Good luck on the splitter. If it works, then change out the filter and fluid after about 15 minutes of running. Then do it again after two or three hours.

/ Log Splitter Problems #12  
Have to agree its not a good choice to put a canister type filter on the suction side, but to install a return line filter instead. All I have on my log splitter is a sump /resivoir strainer on the suction side, not apt to collapse if it does get clogged, and basically its just a nuts and bolt strainer if something by chance happens to get into the resivoir. I have a cart type filter on the return line, with bypass valve. I look at it this way, it should not make much of a difference weather its filtered before or after just as long as it gets filtered, and after the pump is a more logical choice in my opinion.