Log splitter retract distance?

/ Log splitter retract distance?
Haha. Best solution so far! I have looked at all the options for spacers and don't like any of them, since they either involve something around the piston or a block that puts force on just one side of the wedge. I think I am going to go with an adjustable arm that flips back the hand lever - just started on it. I'll let you know how it goes.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #12  
Not sure what you don't like about restricting the retract stroke. I have several implements that don't retract the cylinder the full stroke before hitting a stop and tripping the detent. Think transport wheels on a disc. The wheel frame meets the disc frame before the cylinder is fully retracted. I think you are making it way, way to hard and you are going to construct a lever or arm which will get in the way and increase the chance of entanglement or injury if it pops loose and swings into you.

Those cylinder clamps are a simple solution and your best bet. Tried and true.

/ Log splitter retract distance?
Well, I fashioned a retract limiter out of some scrap stuff. Here's the splitter with the adjustable retract arm -
20130515_175408.jpg
About all you really see here are the two extended wings to form a bigger table for the wood. But the retract limiter is there -
20130515_175444.jpg
It consists of a length of rod whose position is adjustable via a thumbscrew. As the wedge returns the rod pushes against the bottom of the arm. The arm rotates and flips the lever back. Here are a couple more pictures.
20130515_175500.jpg20130515_175511 (1).jpg
So now I can split my 16" and 18" wood, and switch down to 12" for my neighbor's kitchen stove. When I get into some birch or smaller tops I cut it to 12" for his supply. Works fine. The other nice thing is that the arm can be pivoted horizontally, the rod will miss it, and the piston will retract fully for storage.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #14  
I new it would work, been thinking about the same thing for years on mine. That's why I even said anything in my 1st post.