Log Splitter Stutters

/ Log Splitter Stutters #1  

helpfulbook

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4700 Woods Backhoe 750, 460 Loader, Woodmaxx SB-72
Hi Guys, I've been splitting a lot of firewood lately and I noticed the push arm on the splitter when it is retracting backwards stutters.
It only seems to do it after I'm splitting for a while and the machine gets warm.
Does anyone know what the reason may be?

Thank you,
George

/ Log Splitter Stutters #2  
Easy one would be low fluid and lube the track.

/ Log Splitter Stutters
Easy one would be low fluid and lube the track.

Thank you, I have added fluid, just wasnt sure how much to put in and didnt want to over fill.
I will grease the track.

Thanks again,
George

/ Log Splitter Stutters #4  
It should still have some in the reservoir with the ram fully extended but not overflowing when fully retracted.

/ Log Splitter Stutters #5  
Check the fluid when it is warm/hot. It is amazing how much it expands when it heats up. If you overfill it while it is cold you can have quite a mess when it heats up DAMHIKT.

I don't know that I would grease the track. On mine that would just make a mess collecting dust and wood debris. If you use any lube it should probably be a dry lube.

Doug in SW IA

/ Log Splitter Stutters
It should still have some in the reservoir with the ram fully extended but not overflowing when fully retracted.
Yeah I can only see fluid at the bottom of the reservoir.

/ Log Splitter Stutters
Check the fluid when it is warm/hot. It is amazing how much it expands when it heats up. If you overfill it while it is cold you can have quite a mess when it heats up DAMHIKT.

I don't know that I would grease the track. On mine that would just make a mess collecting dust and wood debris. If you use any lube it should probably be a dry lube.

Doug in SW IA
I'll make sure when I check it when it is hot. I was afraid to open the cap when it was hot...LOL
Thinking it would act like a hot radiator.