Log Splitter??

/ Log Splitter?? #1  

RodneyV

I'm curious if the hydraulics on a BX2200 can handle a log splitter. I've searchd the posts but no one has directly said whether it can handle it or not.

Nothern Tools has a 3 point that I would like to hook to my FEL connections. I'm not sure if I'd run the hoses to the rear or just set the splitter next to the tractor.

Is anyone using a log splitter on their BX/BX2200?

Thanks

/ Log Splitter?? #2  
If you have a BX2200 you'll need to add the rear hydraulics. It will run a log splitter but is slow due to the BX only providing 5.5 GPM. That's why stand alone units have 2 stage pumps, they high volume part(11+ GPM) provides good speed until it hits a hard spot then switches over to the lower volume higher pressure part. So if you have a lot of wood to split get a standalone unit, or you could build your own and use a PTO pump to power it.

/ Log Splitter?? #3  
I have a TSC splitter attached to my NH TC40D and it moves almost 10gpm. At that flow, the speed is barely acceptable for a single operator and kind of slow with a helper. If it was half that speed (5.5gpm), it would be too slow for my tastes. However, if you want to save some $ over a standalone, you already have the hydraulics, and you don't need to go that fast it would probably be OK.
Mark

/ Log Splitter??
Thanks for the advice. I get the feeling that I would not be happy with the speed of the hydraulics.

/ Log Splitter?? #5  
I have an uncomfortable feeling that I am confused. Although I have never looked into a logsplitter for my BX1800, it would appear that I have been working under some misperceptions. I thought the logsplitter operated off the rear PTO and that the PTO drove a hydraulic pump built directly into the logsplitter. In short, I believed that the tractor's role was simply to replace the engine required for self-contained logsplitter units.

Tell me I ain't wrong?

BrokerBob

/ Log Splitter?? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Tell me I ain't wrong? )</font>

OK. How about half wrong. Which means half correct... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Two types of 3PH logsplitters: One from TSC and Northern use hoses to connect to the tractor's hydraulics ($5-600). And the other hooks a separate pump onto the PTO and powers it ($1100-1300).

Mark