Log splitter:

/ Log splitter: #1  

Crutches

Tractor
Kubota L3600
I need to purchase a log splitter. I heard from one farmer that the ones that operate from the pto are too slow. The only log splitter I have used is called an axe! Money is a concern but I want one that will hold up to about ten cords per year of splitting oak. Any recommendations?

/ Log splitter: #2  
Crutches,

We have had a lot of discussions about log splitters. To get more info that you've probably ever wanted on the subject, do a search for "log splitter" in all the forums (as they're all over the place). Have a pot of coffee ready as you're in for a lot of reading.

There are a lot of pros/cons for each setup and you'll want/need to weigh these factors on how you process your wood.

Brian

/ Log splitter: #3  
I rent one when I need it. I get everything ready, commandeer some help, then go to the local rental mart. They only charge me $85 for 24 hours. I heat my shop with wood, and we have a fireplace in the house. About 6 or 8 ricks gets us through the winter usually. With good help, that's a days work or less. Stay away from the PTO "screw-type" if you have a choice. Not the safest thing ever invented. My son bought a 3-point hitch mounted splitter at an auction this summer. If he'll let the old man use it, I MIGHT even save that $85!

/ Log splitter: #4  
I have to agree with Indy, The cost buying even a $999 machine would take a long time to recoup. you have to consider, maintenance and storrage, not to mention all the new freinds you'll meet if you own one,leading to the cost of repairs. The rental is fairly cheap and once a year, it will equate to about 12yrs of rental to pay for itself. And thats just the machine.. I'll be renting one this year myself.

/ Log splitter: #5  
Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to respectfully differ from Indy's and HGM's recommendations and stick with Crutches thoughts of buying one.

Now, Crutches didn't give us a lot of detail but please review the original posters profile. After I did, I honestly don't see this as being a 1 day quick get it over with project. Sounds more like a therapeutic and leisure-time activity.

Crutches - Which definition of a "cord" are you using. It used to be either 1 rack, 4'x8' (aka Face Cord) or the more current (and official) definition is 4'x4'x8' (or three of those racks).

I would think that most any decent splitter (either hyd. or stand-alone) will handle 10 cord/year for many years.

Ergonomics will also be important. Make sure the working area(s) are what you want/need. This is more important on the stand-alone units.

Too bad you're so far away (and a day late). I just sold one of my splitters yesterday.

Brian

/ Log splitter: #6  
Crutches, if you are not in a real hurry, I would scope out EBay. I bought a one-year old MTD Yard Machines 26-ton splitter Link on EBay for under $800. It is the same model they sell at one of those big-box home improvement stores for about $1200. I have split about 140 cords of mixed hardwood in the last 18 months with mine. And one of my neighbors has borrowed it and probably split another 20 cord with it. While not a big MTD fan, this has been one great workhorse. You can see it in use ... Wood

I do not recommend a PTO splitter. They are slow because the hydraulic pumps don't provide enough flow. Also, it is very useful to have the tractor available to move logs and split wood around.

/ Log splitter: #7  
okay, I'd like to make an observation here. I am seeing the term pto splitter being associated with slow operation. There are a couple options with a tractor mounted splitter.

First off, there is just a standard 3pt splitter. This attaches to the 3 point but uses the tractors hydraulic pump. This may operate slowly if the tractor has a low gpm pump.

second option is a 3point mounted splitter with a dedicated pto hydraulic pump and resivoir. I don't see why this would be any slower than a splitter with a dedicated engine as you could decide how big of a pto pump to get for your tractor based on hp. If you want a faster operating splitter at low rpm, get a bigger pto pump.

I agree that it might be nice to have the tractor free while splitting, but it is also nice to maintain one engine and simplify your life, while having yet another attachment to justify your tractor purchase. Also, most log splitters have a decent amount of weight to them making them a perfect ballast for fel work. I particularly like the splitters that operate perpendicular to the tractor that can operate both horizontally and vertically.

I think Timberwolf makes some mean pto powered splitters with different pump sizes to choose from. I'm sure the performance would be great.

/ Log splitter: #8  
you guys obviously cut more wood than I do. If it is a continuous thing that you would benefit from ownership, I agree. In my case though a couple of cords per year(old measurement) I'll keep renting. I also have family members that would tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer, so the thought of lending scares me as well. Good luck, I too agree e-bay would be a good place to look, dont forget to factor in the shipping.

/ Log splitter: #9  
Howdy from up north!

I am also shopping for a wood splitter, there seems to be 3 options here,
-Rear Hydraulic remotes from the tractor
-PTO powered
-or Briggs& stratton type engine

Well, I don't know about you, but upkeep on another small engine, is the last thing I want to be doing, and the PTO drive type would include it's own pump, and a constantly moving shaft to work around, just think of all of those moving parts, just waiting to break..and your tractor is still running the whole time, Why not utilize it, so....
IMHO, the best and simplest, and almost break proof way is to use the tractors own hydraulic system and use rear remotes, it is alot simpler, and cheaper....

Hope this helps

Ken

/ Log splitter:
The last time I saw that much cut wood I was at he pulp mill! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif