Logging Chains

/ Logging Chains #11  
Between the mud and hard use paint has never really worked for me. I always count the number of chains I start off with and either keep all the chains in a 5 gallon bucket or find a tree or rock that I designate to be the one and only location to put chains. I like large rocks or ledge because the chains stand out better than near the base of a tree or stump.

/ Logging Chains #12  
I lost a chain for nearly the whole summer. Drove me nuts and it was about 5 feet from where I was looking. I picked up some orange rust oleum and painted the hooks and a few end links. I haven't had a problem since.

/ Logging Chains
It is really interesting reading about the same issues you folks are having with your chains as I have.
sherpa

/ Logging Chains #15  
I'm sure no one else has had this problem, but I sometimes forget to pick them up till I get clear back to the barn, then have to go back and find them.:ashamed:
My solution, whenever possible is to, put them in the backhoe bucket with a hook over the lip. That's a good height to handle heavy long chains without getting them tangled together and they are always handy. You could raise or lower the bucket if it is not. Front end loader bucket works too, if you have your chainsaw and other stuff in there as well.
If not you might dump the chains unless you hook them over the back edge of the bucket.

/ Logging Chains #16  
Like others, I paint chain and cable hooks and clevises fluorescent orange. I also painted handles of rakes, loppers, a pitch fork, and wrenches and screwdrivers, pliers, etc, carried in my tractor toolbox fluorescent orange.

I tried to remember which neighbour had my pitch fork for two years before finally finding it leaning under a tree where I had been burning brush piles. The handle was terribly cracked/checked but still OK. The orange paint on it is disgusting but I sure see it better.