logging winch cable

/ logging winch cable #11  
Use a wire rope clip of the correct size and remove the saddle, just use the u-bolt.

That would work well, especially if you have to drill holes for it, as you can drill to fit. The OP should still find out the correct procedure for the unit...

/ logging winch cable
I have an older JL 306 made between '79 and '84 I believe. It doesn't have any mechanism to attach the cable to the drum. There also is no complete manual available from what my local (Northeast Implements) parts source says. They have patched together some pages from manuals but there is no page dealing with attaching the cable. Also no info on servicing the drum and main sprocket bushing/bearings which is a whole other story.

It sounds like my best bet is to do the drilling procedure for the U-clamp bolts and leave the saddle off as suggested. Thanks for the advice everyone. Now for a post on another problem I'm having with rebuilding this ole timer.

/ logging winch cable #13  
I WORK FOR A UTILITY COMPANY THAT PROABLY HAS 150 VEHICLES WITH WINCHES ON THEM ROLLING UP A LOOSE CABLE BY YOUR SELF IS VERY HARD TO DO UNLESS YOU HAVE A REMOTE CONTROL SO YOU CAN KEEP CABLE STRAIGHT AND EVEN ON DRUM HOOKING THE LOOSE END OF CABLE TO SOMETHING THAT WILL MOVE UNDER TENSION HELPS OR MAYBE THE TWO BY FOUR TRICK WOULD WORK REMEMBER WHEN INSTALLING A NEW CABLE FROM DRUM EITHER REMOVE ALLOF CABLE AND STRECH OUT COMPLETLY TO GET ALL OF THE COILS OUT OF IT IF GOING FROMDRUM TO SPOOL REMEMBER TO WIND CABLE OFF OF SPOOL TO THE DRUM, THE SAME AS IT COMES OFF SPOOL