Logging winch size

/ Logging winch size #11  
Baby Grand said:
I'd guess that if the smaller winch is designed for a smaller tractor, then you may tear it apart using it on a bigger machine if you overload it. I'm not talking about frying the winch, I'm talking about lifting and skidding 9000# with an implement frame which was designed for 3000# max, as you can winch multiple small loads to a landing and then hitch them all up to the winch in one big load to skid out. So if you go with an "undersized" winch, don't overload it and I don't see any real problem.

My thoughts exactly! On the other end to big of a winch can be extremely hard on the 3pt hitch of a tractor. A small winch would be ok if you were ok with not using your tractor to its fullest potential. If you don't plan on using the winch excessively i can't see that being a big issue. Good luck! Whatever you choose you will be amazed what they can do.

/ Logging winch size #12  
Where is the post about the guy in WV who has the used Farmi winch for sale? After seeing mine my buddy is looking for one so if someone could please forward his information that would be great.

Now, concerning the winch for a 50 hp tractor. I have a Farmi JL501 which has around 11,000 lbs of pull, I wish it had more. I live in the mountains and we are always pulling logs up the mountain and I can't imagine trying to accomplish this with a smaller winch, even my Farmi has trouble with big wood. The misunderstanding on these winches and the effect they have on the tractor is when the winch is being operated it is sitting on the ground and only pulls the tractor a short distance until the dozer blade fitted on the bottom of the winch bites into the ground. When pulling sideways using the top pulley on the winch you can pull the tractor off the ground and create all kinds of havoc, so you learn quick to use the bottom pulley.

The issue of buying a small winch for a 50 hp tractor may not be an issue on flat ground but where I'm from most pulls are so steep your tractor nor an ATV can go up the side of the mountain. Another issue has to do with the log digging into the soil and the small winch unable to overcome the resistance. My advice having been at this log winching for a while, save your money and but at least a 10k lbs or greater winch, looking back you'll be glad you did.

/ Logging winch size #13  
I agree with Baby Grand. There is no real problem putting a small winch on a 50 hp tractor if that is what you want to do. You just have to realise that the winch is the limiting factor. If the winch is designed to go on a 25 hp tractor you can probably lift and skid about 1000 lbs of logs without tearing it up because the 25 hp tractor will lose traction or start to tip before the winch bends or tears if the load gets hung up or jammed on a tight corner. The 50 hp tractor will not. It will just keep on going if the hitch is stuck or jammed which will stove in the winch. As long as you understand this you should be OK. But you will not be able to feel any trouble thru your tractor it won't even know it has a winch back there.

/ Logging winch size #14  
I have a JD3720 and I use a FX65 winch on it with no problem. I like it alot. However my tractor is only 43 hp and that is near the top for the hp rating for the FX65. I would be leary about putting it on a 50+hp tractor. You will tear something up if you are not constantly aware of it, mostly because I don't think that you would even feel it on the back of a larger machine. Another point is human nature.....meaning if you have the power you will be tempted to try for bigger loads/bigger logs that a smaller winch won't handle well.

Just a thought but if it were me, I'd go bigger. It is generally better to have a little more than you need, than to push something harder thatn it should be. Look at the FX90 or someting in that weight class. I think that you will be happier in the long run.

/ Logging winch size
Great points and we all know that I will have the winch overloaded.
Part of my problem is my tractor is not loaded and I fear getting stuck in the woods without a winch.
Even a small winch could free me when I get stuck and its bound to happen. Right now the woods road is a swamp Let alone the woods where I have to go.
The reason I asked the questions is a smaller norse for $900 is for sale in my area . Not sure of the model but looks older.

/ Logging winch size #16  
Be sure you can still get parts for it. Some of the older winches aren't supported anymore. Norse is the same as Igland, just a different division. I'd pass on the 190 and look for a 290 or even a 390. It'll do more work for you and be easier to sell in the future.

Sean

/ Logging winch size
Be sure you can still get parts for it. Some of the older winches aren't supported anymore. Norse is the same as Igland, just a different division. I'd pass on the 190 and look for a 290 or even a 390. It'll do more work for you and be easier to sell in the future.

Sean
Chilly807 Where in NS are you located. Winch has been sold Very good point on the parts issue.