Logging Winch

/ Logging Winch #11  
Go to Surplurcenter.com. They have a page (at least in their catalog) that has all of the formulas used in calculating torque, HP, speed, etc., for hydraulic motors. After you do the math, then search for a motor with your criteria. They have lots to choose from, and their tech support is good, if you have any questions.:D

/ Logging Winch #12  
xlr82v2 said:
What size hydraulic motor do you think would be appropriate for this thing? My tractor is rated at 9gpm at rated engine speed, so I've got some flow available, but torque is more of my concern.

I'd like to have a motor that would put out about 6-700 rpm at about 5gpm flow (a little faster than the PTO) but still have enough torque to get adequate pulling power from the winch. I might be worried about nothing, as I've never had a problem with the belt drive delivering enough torque to the winch, even with the 8N at dead idle, which probably is less than 100ft/lbs output from the tractor. And that is enough to flip the tractor completely over if you were to keep going.

Any suggestions?

Howdy neighbor, this may be a bit of a headache to actually do.....but.
Once you find a motor and see its rated RPMs at given flow I think if you go to Baum Hydraulics calculators and use the vehicle speed calculator and use the winch drum diameter it will give you ft/min. They also have a calculator that figures hyd. motor HP. Baum Hydraulics :: Spec Calculator then use this to convert HP to torque Horsepower vs. Torque BTW: TractorData.com says the 8N engine was rated at 92 LBS/FT at full throttle.

/ Logging Winch
Kernopelli said:
Howdy neighbor, this may be a bit of a headache to actually do.....but.
Once you find a motor and see its rated RPMs at given flow I think if you go to Baum Hydraulics calculators and use the vehicle speed calculator and use the winch drum diameter it will give you ft/min. They also have a calculator that figures hyd. motor HP. Baum Hydraulics :: Spec Calculator then use this to convert HP to torque Horsepower vs. Torque BTW: TractorData.com says the 8N engine was rated at 92 LBS/FT at full throttle.
Well Howdy Neighbor! Good to see someone from the "neighborhood" on here!

I wonder if there is any way to calculate (I know there is, but I'm no engineer) what the torque output of the PTO would be at the 92ft/lbs engine? I'm sure it would be substantially higher due to the gear reduction in the transmission. Let's see here...

If I'm remembering correctly, on the 8N, 1550 engine rpm equates to 536 PTO rpm, for a ratio of .346.

92ft/lbs divided by .346= 265.9 ft/lbs at the PTO... so, figure in some mechanical losses, which would put it probably in the neighborhood of 260 ft/lbs at the PTO, at full power.

Sound logical? I don't think I need that much torque, since the torque available at idle is adequate enough to literally pull the 8N completely over.

I wish Piccar would email me back, all I really need is how much input torque is required to get, let's say, a 10000# line pull. Then I could use that number to match up to the motor I would need, and life would be easy.

I'm probably going to leave it PTO powered anyway, so all of this is moot:rolleyes:. :)

/ Logging Winch #14  
Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I found this site looking for logging winch ideas. I had something like this one in mind and was wondering if the original poster xlr82v2 was still around or if anyone else has made one similar to this.

I have an old brayden winch that is about the same design and am wondering how this mounting frame worked for pulling logs.

Anything you wish you had designed differently? If you made a similar one what is the best feature of yours?

Is it easy to rewind the cable with that pulley on the chain or do you unhook it and guide the cable by hand?

Any other design tips for a winch mount similar to this one?

Thank you very much for the pictures and advice.
Wildlife

/ Logging Winch #15  
You can search for posts by xlr82v2 to see if he is still around or send a PM. I did a search and I don't think he has posted for a few years. That winch probably worked so well he is still out in the bush with it. Try a PM.

/ Logging Winch #16  
Thanks MWB. I sent a PM to xlr82v2. If I don't hear back from him I will start my own thread to get ideas before building up my winch frame. This thread had the best pictures and is similar to what I think I want to do, so I thought I would start here. Thank you for the quick reply. I took a few minutes to look at some of the other projects on here and there is a ton of interesting stuff.
I am sure I will learn from what others have done on here before making this logging winch.