Logsplitter Valve?

/ Logsplitter Valve? #21  
49er

That is one Beautiful machine! I guess you have access to an automated plazma cutter huh? Not only is the machine you built fully functional, but it's a work of art as well. Very nicely done!

I'm working on my own design also, and thought I was all set to build a horizontal machine, but now after seeing this vertical machine Firewood Splitter Videos
I think I'm going to revise my plan to build a self propelled vertical machine with a log lift and provisions to eventually add the conveyor as time (and funding) allows.

I have assembled some parts, and am waiting to pick up a main beam before striking an arc. Working comfort is VERY important to me as I have a bad back, and cannot work bending forward for any significant amount of time. I appreciate the specs you have shared on your build, and once again compliment you on a phenomenal build.

/ Logsplitter Valve? #22  
Great looking splitter! I meant to paint mine, but ran out of motivation last spring! Say, how does your log basket work? Is it aluminum? Mine is not quite right... Maybe the spacing is off for the tubing that makes the basket, but every once in a while it will catch a part of a log and the ram will bend the basket... I've looked at a commercial one and the spacing was much smaller. I like yours, but will it hold a 150-200 pound log?

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_4571-1.jpg
    IMG_4571-1.jpg
    742 KB · Views: 127
   / Logsplitter Valve?
ProfessorGT,
Thanks a lot for the compliments. Cut most of the parts on an automated laser. The wedge and ram parts, that were 1", I cut on a Plasma machine.
That vertical machine is very well designed. I especially like that it is up off the ground unlike other vertical machines.
Thanks again, good luck and have fun with your project.