Logsplitter Valve?

/ Logsplitter Valve? #11  
If he uses more than 1 valve, will his first one have to have a PB outlet to run the second valve ?

Since the functions would be mostly used one-at-time, just putting them in series without PB is perfectly fine.

/ Logsplitter Valve? #12  
Something to consider here is the relief settings, and that is, to have the first valve in line, with the highest setting, or all the relief settings the same. I believe the main reason that valves are not used in series without a PB port, is that the valves were not designed to have high back pressure on the return port. There are some articles out that suggest that was the reason that some return ports had split open or cracked. If you think about it, and you are using the last valve in the system, the complete circuit is at pump pressure. Therefore , you should make sure the relief setting on the last valve is always the lowest setting.

/ Logsplitter Valve?
Finally done! :D
Took awhile with a lot of planning and help.
A couple of guys and myself did all the welding @ work after hours.
Everything works as planned.
Thank you guy for all your feedback and ideas.

Attachments

• DSC07588.jpg
    DSC07588.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 263
  • DSC07589.jpg
    DSC07589.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 220
  • DSC07597.jpg
    DSC07597.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 201
  • DSC07600.jpg
    DSC07600.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC07609.jpg
    DSC07609.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC07605.jpg
    DSC07605.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC07590.jpg
    DSC07590.jpg
    939.9 KB · Views: 204
   / Logsplitter Valve? #14  
Nice job, looks great!

/ Logsplitter Valve? #15  
That is one heck of a good looking log splitter 49er! Congratulations. I have begun to gather the parts and start designing one of my own-so I have a few questions for you...

Did you add a plate on top of the beam for the push plate to ride on?

Could you explain or post some more pictures of the wedge setup? I'm wondering if the wedge is welded to the tube steel and how all that connects to the beam.

Working height/beam height and how you fab'd up your axle?

Again, great work. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.

/ Logsplitter Valve? #16  
49'er that is one of the best looking self made splitters I have seen!! Splitters get discussed a lot at hearth.com, and one comment that always comes back is not to use black pipe on hydraulics. It may work fine for a long time, but just is not rated for the pressure. If you split a seem in that pipe the fluid at 2500 psi will cut into your skin and cause major problems.

Change that stuff out and I think you have a winner!!:D

/ Logsplitter Valve? #17  
49'er that is one of the best looking self made splitters I have seen!! Splitters get discussed a lot at hearth.com, and one comment that always comes back is not to use black pipe on hydraulics. It may work fine for a long time, but just is not rated for the pressure. If you split a seem in that pipe the fluid at 2500 psi will cut into your skin and cause major problems.

Change that stuff out and I think you have a winner!!:D

In general-you are 100% correct, But (there is always a but...) it looks like he only used them on the low pressure return side of the system, so it is acceptable.

/ Logsplitter Valve?
LanceH said:
That is one heck of a good looking log splitter 49er! Congratulations. I have begun to gather the parts and start designing one of my own-so I have a few questions for you...

Did you add a plate on top of the beam for the push plate to ride on?

Could you explain or post some more pictures of the wedge setup? I'm wondering if the wedge is welded to the tube steel and how all that connects to the beam.

Working height/beam height and how you fab'd up your axle?

Again, great work. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Posting from my phone, I'll get pics and more info later.
I did use a plate on top of I- beam. (3/4" x 8")
I'll get details on the wedge assembly and try to answer your other questions.
Good luck on your project.

/ Logsplitter Valve?
Correction, the top plate is 5/8" thick not 3/4".
I'll post some pics of the wedge assembly later.
The height to top plate is 31.5" It is a very comfortable working height for me @ 6' tall.
Alot of splitters I've used seemed too low.

/ Logsplitter Valve?
Pics show the 1" x 12" wedge welded to the top plate and the 4" square tubing which IS welded to two 1/2" gussets and the I-beam.

The pdf file is looking from underneath up through.
The I-beam is transparent so the gussets can be seen which tie the tubing into the I-beam. Hopefully I didn't make this too confusing.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3086.jpg
    IMG_3086.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3085.jpg
    IMG_3085.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3083.jpg
    IMG_3083.jpg