Logsplitter

/ Logsplitter #41  
What size tractor are you putting that on? Also how long is the beam and have you calulated the total weight of it when it is all done?

/ Logsplitter
BT,

Thanks. I'm pretty much making it up as I go along. That does have some downsides /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I could have modeled it in a CAD-accurate 3D modelling program (doing that for the dump wagon) but it didn't seem all that complex. I have been collecting pictures and looking at splitter designs for about the last 8 or so months though.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I sometimes park a large firewood round in that location and use it as a 'table', or use the FEL bucket as a table, bringing up the large rounds in the bucket and using is as a table also. )</font>

Good ideas - using the bucket would have the added advantage of putting the split wood right in it for transport to your storage area.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is there room to move the beam closer to the tractor, and attach the 3pt lift a foot or two from the beam end. )</font>

Yes - I could move it in probably a foot or so. I've been loathe to cut the beam off and make it shorter - mainly because I haven't been able to think of a good use for the short piece of I-beam that would be leftover. However my friend who is a welder was over yesterday and suggested cutting it off and the taking the short section of I-beam and splitting it in half down the web, creating two pieces of T-bar ..... welded onto the I-beam bottom and sticking out to the side at a 90° angle, these might make good mounts for the engine and hydraulic tank. Cutting 2' off will only reduce the weight by 48 lbs or so - but it would have the advantage of decreasing the leverage of the rest of the unit and making it more manuverable since it won't stick out as far. I'll probably also weld in a piece of square tube at an angle, from near the top back of the 3PH assembly down to the top of the beam.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thinking something like some of the boom poles, that one end actually attaches to the tractor drawbar, and the 3pt lift arms attach to a yoke coming from around the boom. )</font>

Hmmm ..... attaching it to the drawbar - it would definitely make it more sturdy. The only downside I can think of off the top of my head is that it would be at a fixed height .... I wouldn't be able to raise or lower it.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Doubt you will put more than 300 pounds of wood on the splitter. )</font>

That's true on the weight of the wood - anything that large is pretty rare around these parts. If I lived on the west coast it might be more of an issue.

/ Logsplitter
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What size tractor are you putting that on? )</font>

Kubota B2910 with a FEL attached.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also how long is the beam and have you calulated the total weight of it when it is all done? )</font>

The beam is 8' 4" currently, and a rough guess on the weight is in a post above - I'm guessing that it will easily weigh over 500 pounds. As a comparision, the 3PH splitters from Northern Tool have a shipping weight of 265 - 350 pounds, depending on whether the unit is a horizontal model or a horizontal/vertical model. These use tractor hydraulics and so don't have the extra weight of an engine and hydraulic tank which I have.

/ Logsplitter
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I made mine to use at home so I used a 1hp phase 1 electric motor quiet to use you can talk normal level around it )</font>

I definitely like this aspect. Please post some pics of your unit.

/ Logsplitter #45  
Did you ever get the logsplitter finished? I am in the process of finishing up a homemade one that I bought. I replaced the pump & control valve & made a bigger hydraulic tank. Got a few more welds to make on the tank & I should be ready to try it out.

/ Logsplitter
Ron,

Nope, it's still not finished :( I've been trying to get some landscaping/driveway/polebarn projects done before the weather turns bad.

I do hope to get it operational in time to use it yet this year. It's real close - I could put it together and use it right now - which I may end up doing - and then pull it back apart this winter to finish the grinding, prep and paint.

I did pull it out of the polebarn the other day and move it up to the pad in front of the workshop, in hopes of getting it in and putting it together shortly.

I am in the process of finishing up a homemade one that I bought. I replaced the pump & control valve & made a bigger hydraulic tank. Got a few more welds to make on the tank & I should be ready to try it out.

Sounds like just in time for the fall splitting season. :D

Post some pices and let us know how it works.