Long distance tractor inspection service......

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #21  
Junkman - I read what you wrote, I read what I wrote, I understand the difference in the Canadian dollar/US dollar, I understand there is a trade agreement, (believe or not, I haven't been in a cave on Mars with my eyes closed and my fingers in my ears going blah, blah, blah, blah). I just don't understand why you feel it is wrong for the Canadians to charge the folks in the US more for a given product. Again, if you don't like it or think it is too much, then don't buy it. I don't think that is discrimination - it's just a business methodology, be it right or wrong.

/ Long distance tractor inspection service......
Ahhhhh.......Junkman,

A few things you have wrong there,if I may. First off a frostback is worth around .70 greenback currently(you had them reversed) Secondly, Laurin has US dealers,so they might have been giving you the same retail prices as the dealers sell for in the US to protect the US dealers. Third, the Auto-Pact was set up for cross border shipping of vehicles, and parts by the companies so they would not pay duties on anything made or assembled in North America shipped between their divisions,or suppliers. The companies have plants both sides of the border,so you could see how much of a paperwork nightmare this would make if everything had to be declared and duties paid. I think it is pretty easy to see who really benifited from this legislation......it sure was not the brands from across the two ponds!!!

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #23  
And back to the original question of INSPECTION SERVICES

There are qualified inspection services for houses and boats so why should one for tractors and equipment not work.

I have taken used cars to the mechanic of my choice for inspection prior to purchase.

No reason it shouldn't work if the cost is within acceptable parameters for the purchaser.

Egon

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #24  
Good job of reminding us what this thread is about - I'm as guilty of thread hijacking as anyone.

And I also agree with you Egon - I think that it could be a workable enterprise.

Thanks again Egon.

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #25  
Bumping this thread, because as a potential used tractor buyer from the other side of the planet, I would most certainly consider an inspection/advice service from people local enough to the tractors to personally inspect on my behalf. The price differentials and current exchange rates make it a pretty good option.

I have been looking around online and see modern, low hour 50HP machines up there that are considerably cheaper than buying here. I have bought plenty of machinery from USA before so can easily handle all the freight requirements, but the missing link is a network of people around USA or Canada who can be trusted to really go over a tractor and confirm it's in great shape.

That's a service I'd pay for. I do value the advice of people who have the gear and above all, experience, to know what the heck they are doing. In fact, if there was some such service already offered, a website perhaps, where I could register my needs and budget and it goes out to the network of inspectors/buying agents, and they are paid once they find and inspect a good one, and the site allows me to leave feedback on how the trade worked so others can read and make up their minds if it was worth it, I'd already have registered an interest.

There must be a retired or still working ag contractor or better yet workshop mechanic or dealer or such like with so many years of experience who could really make a big difference for us non-local tractor buyers. They don't have to already have a shop, but have the experience needed to really be competent. I see people like that from time to time here in New Zealand who have retired from the business and have 40 years of experience going to waste and not enough people here really appreciating just what they have to offer.

Oh man, I tell ya, if I could tap into that in markets where the tractors are cheaper than here, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #26  
In 40 years, I can't ever remember a time that the Canadian dollar was stronger than the U.S. dollar and if it was, I doubt that it was for very long.

I emigrated to Canada in May 1976. I definitely remember the US $ being worth less than the Canadian $. I would go into a bank and get $1.10 US for $1.00 Canadian I visited many ports on the Great Lakes as I was hired as Chief Engineer for a Canadian shipping company. Periodically, jaunts ashore necessitated changing Canadian money for US money. This was from May 1976 through to December 1976

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #27  
Bumping this thread, because as a potential used tractor buyer from the other side of the planet, I would most certainly consider an inspection/advice service from people local enough to the tractors to personally inspect on my behalf. The price differentials and current exchange rates make it a pretty good option.

I have been looking around online and see modern, low hour 50HP machines up there that are considerably cheaper than buying here. I have bought plenty of machinery from USA before so can easily handle all the freight requirements, but the missing link is a network of people around USA or Canada who can be trusted to really go over a tractor and confirm it's in great shape.

That's a service I'd pay for. I do value the advice of people who have the gear and above all, experience, to know what the heck they are doing. In fact, if there was some such service already offered, a website perhaps, where I could register my needs and budget and it goes out to the network of inspectors/buying agents, and they are paid once they find and inspect a good one, and the site allows me to leave feedback on how the trade worked so others can read and make up their minds if it was worth it, I'd already have registered an interest.

There must be a retired or still working ag contractor or better yet workshop mechanic or dealer or such like with so many years of experience who could really make a big difference for us non-local tractor buyers. They don't have to already have a shop, but have the experience needed to really be competent. I see people like that from time to time here in New Zealand who have retired from the business and have 40 years of experience going to waste and not enough people here really appreciating just what they have to offer.

Oh man, I tell ya, if I could tap into that in markets where the tractors are cheaper than here, it would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Try Iron Planet
Inspection
Most equipment sold through IronPlanet has been through a rigorous inspection process, and an inspection report is posted on our Web site. Each report includes details and photos of the equipment from general appearance through oil sample analysis. We back up the reports with our IronClad Assuranceョ, which guarantees that the equipment is as good as we say it is. That way, buyers can bid in confidence, which typically results in higher sale prices.
How to sell

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #28  
Thanks newbury. There is also http://www.rbauction.com/.

The trouble with auctions is the price isn't known in advance so it is difficult to work out if it is worth paying for an inspection service, if one was available.

Places like tractorhouse and craigslist at least list the prices and I can follow up with the sellers to get a better idea if it's worth it. But there is then still the missing link of a reliable inspection service to help take some of the risks (perceived or otherwise) out of the equation. I'd probably team up with another buyer here and we'd by two tractors to help fill a container, if we could be relatively sure we weren't going to get burned.

Our dollar is riding pretty high (well, high compared to where it has been in the past) against the US$ and CA$. So it's a pretty good time for us to be buying machinery from offshore.

/ Long distance tractor inspection service...... #29  
Ok guys,I have a question.....Lately I've been getting emails about locating tractors and parts up here for guys in the States. So if I was to offer a locating service that also offered checking over of the tractors would you guys pay for it? I'd look at the tractor,drive it,check it over,take pics,and give a honest opinion of it's condition. How much would this service be worth?

I've looked at rare motorcycles and super cars for people.

Sadly, every airplane guy I know, flies in.