Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #1  

JoelD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004
Hi all, certain someone here has dealt with this on a tow vehicle or can help regardless. Sorry again for posting to this forum. Manual locking hub plastic broke as I tried to replace the locking hub. Any idea how to get the gears out? I’m planning on drilling and trying to get out that way.

Thanks again
Joel
IMG_4431.JPG

Totally understand if pulled down

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #2  
I've had mine apart over the years but not sure what I'm looking at? And what caused it to break?

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #3  
I replaced mine with metal warn hub locks on my 2003 f250..I'm not too sure what that peice is but once you have the locking ring out I would drill and tap like you said and replace the whole hub lock.

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #4  
The last manual locking hubs were on my Jeep TJ. They were metal and quite easy to disassemble. Never dealt with plastic hubs. If you are removing the plastic hubs and replacing them with metal - you are going the right way.

All the hubs I've ever had were Warn.

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #5  
The factory spin outs are plastic. I'm just not sure what caused the break? And I can't figure out the issue of removing the gears? Nor drilling holes?

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #6  
Here's a factory spin out on a '00 F250.

First pic is after removing the chrome lug nut cover.

Second pic is after removing the "snap ring" that holds the spin out to the wheel hub.

Third pic is with the spin out removed.

Only tool required was a large screw driver to pop off the chrome nut cover.

20230226_085009.jpg

20230226_085029.jpg

20230226_085127.jpg

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #7  
Here's a factory spin out on a '00 F250.

First pic is after removing the chrome lug nut cover.

Second pic is after removing the "snap ring" that holds the spin out to the wheel hub.

Third pic is with the spin out removed.

Only tool required was a large screw driver to pop off the chrome nut cover.

View attachment 785749

View attachment 785750

View attachment 785751

My 2000 F250 was the same way, real easy to remove the hub. Literally 60 second job to replace a hub.

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #8  
That is nothing like disassembly of a Warn hub. Hope it helps the OP. BTW - before the OP starts any type of drilling - get an operator or owners manual for the hubs. See how they recommend disassembly.

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #9  
My 2000 F250 was the same way, real easy to remove the hub. Literally 60 second job to replace a hub.
Yep. You are being liberal. Well,,,, I guess if I include the time to retrieve the screw driver and take the pics and reassemble. :)

My '02 is the same kind. I replaced the factory spin outs with Milemarkers on it. They take a bit longer to install but still very easy.

We must have misunderstood the issue. Hopefully Joel will chime in and fill in the blanks. :)

/ Long shot and sorry for off topic need help with f250 manual locking hub #10  
That is nothing like disassembly of a Warn hub. Hope it helps the OP. BTW - before the OP starts any type of drilling - get an operator or owners manual for the hubs. See how they recommend disassembly.
Yeah, Warns and Milemarkers are multi piece spin outs. The primary gear is drilled and tapped. It is also held in place by a snap ring. Screws hold the outer mechanism to the primary gear. But still pretty easy to disassemble.