Buying Advice Long Tractor

/ Long Tractor #11  
thank you james for the advise! as I'm sure you can tell I am a green horn. :) I had him dig a good size pile that has been sitting for a while (grass growing out of it) he took two good size scoops out of it. tires did spin and machine started to bog. so based on what you mentioned clutch still has some life to it right? He did mention that the battery is tired...I haven't looked up the price of a battery of that size...any ideas what it might cost? it fired up nicely and ran well. He said he never had attachments for the 3pt hitch so he never used it....Also mentioned that the PTO has to be engaged for the bucket to work...is this normal? Thanks again for all the advise you have been very helpful. -dan

Hopefully someone else that knows the 610 better will weigh in, but here are my thoughts, Yes sounds like the clutch is ok, the battery, maybe about $75 or so? Hummmm no attachments for the 3pt. that sounds kinda funny. Also the PTO must be engaged for the loader to run.. HUMMMM the only thing I can think of is there is a hydraulic pump hooked to the pto right now, that provides hydraulic power to run the loader, I have heard of some really old tractors that did that but, the normal hydraulic pump is up front. Did you by chance see a pump on the PTO with 2 hoses leading from it? That would explain no PTO driven implements like a rotary cutter, because he would have to remove the pump and then what would run the 3pt hitch,? unless the built in pump, which I noted has low flow for that size of tractor does not have enough flow to run the loader as fast as he wanted it to, and then put on the auxilliary pump. Just thinking out loud here, I dont really know.

James K0UA

/ Long Tractor #12  
The pump that powers the loader, is mounted on the rear of the tractor above the pto shaft that runs rear attachments. I

/ Long Tractor #13  
The loader pump is mounted on the rear of the tractor above the pto shaft that powers rear attachments. A shaft running off the pto internally, drives the loader pump. Long used that method to power the loader, right up to 2005 on the Romanian tractors. Some Long dealers used their loader, but, in our area, their are a lot of Bush Hog loaders on them painted yellow. Some grinding when engaging the pto is normal. As stated before, make sure the 3 point hitch will lift weight. The transmission clutch seems to be working ok. Fuel leaks are a normal way of life for a Long. Bronze washers seal fuel line connections and leak at the fuel lift pump, as well as at the filters. This can be corrected. Make sure the underneath side of the rear engine has no major leaks. A drop of oil is normal, a flow is not. The tractor hydraulic output is higher then what's noted. Around 9 gpm without looking it up. Get a price on a school bus battery (30H), if you live where it's colder. Have the seller show you the preheater and make sure it works. Some have a plug in heater to 120V which work good too. Nice over all 60 hp tractor. The 2610 followed the 610 in 1990. Have to go by word of mouth, as far as the age, because their is no way to look it up by sn.

/ Long Tractor #14  
The loader pump is mounted on the rear of the tractor above the pto shaft that powers rear attachments. A shaft running off the pto internally, drives the loader pump. Long used that method to power the loader, right up to 2005 on the Romanian tractors. Some Long dealers used their loader, but, in our area, their are a lot of Bush Hog loaders on them painted yellow. Some grinding when engaging the pto is normal. As stated before, make sure the 3 point hitch will lift weight. The transmission clutch seems to be working ok. Fuel leaks are a normal way of life for a Long. Bronze washers seal fuel line connections and leak at the fuel lift pump, as well as at the filters. This can be corrected. Make sure the underneath side of the rear engine has no major leaks. A drop of oil is normal, a flow is not. The tractor hydraulic output is higher then what's noted. Around 9 gpm without looking it up. Get a price on a school bus battery (30H), if you live where it's colder. Have the seller show you the preheater and make sure it works. Some have a plug in heater to 120V which work good too. Nice over all 60 hp tractor. The 2610 followed the 610 in 1990. Have to go by word of mouth, as far as the age, because their is no way to look it up by sn.

Thanks for clearing up these questions, Yes I remember the bronze washer leaks at the lift pump now that you mention it. and also my 2360 was 9GPM, and I wondered about tractordata's listing of 5.7 GPM.. seemed awfully low for a tractor of this size. Mine had the 120volt plug in heater also. Thanks again:thumbsup:

James K0UA

/ Long Tractor

has anyone had any luck with finding attachments for this machine? Are they usually forgiving as for fitment? Trac I did a quick search for the battery you suggested looks like tractor supply sells one for 90$ over the internet I found that the price ranges from 85-210. This machine does indeed have the 120volt block heater. He said he never used it because it sat in the winter time. I plant to run it only a couple times in the winter if that to push back snow banks if they get too high. As for the 3 point any suggestions for weight to put on it? I would like to make sure it is functioning properly. I would like to get two attachments one being a bush hog and the other a york rake. thanks everyone keep'em comin' :thumbsup:

/ Long Tractor #16  
A nice 3 pt., 6' rotary cutter weighs about 800#. If the lift is anything at all, will play with that weight. Most everyones attachments will work as long as cat 1. (7/8"). If your 3 pt arms happen to be cat 2, they sell bushings to reduce down. It's nice to have a back, or box blade to finish up after loader work. If you purchase the tractor, I can go through the tractor more in detail with you. Now purchase price depends on condition, location, and demand. With the history of Long, it should be a good deal though.

/ Long Tractor #17  
My old Long 2360 had both CAT1 and CAT2 , you switched by reversing the lower links from their attachment points. I used my finish mower for ballast, and it had loaded tires, It worked pretty well.

James K0UA

/ Long Tractor #18  
I sold 7- 2360 2wd; and 1 rare dtc, tractor and own one personally. Their a great little tractor with alot of power. Also own a AC 5040 which were a cousin of the 360. Nice thing about these tractors is they incorporate a 68 hp drive train from the clutch back in a 36 hp motor. Long rated them 40, but they put out about 33 pto hp on the dyno.

/ Long Tractor
So I had a better look at it yesterday. I brought a friend and mechanic by trade with me and we found several leaks one that almost poured from the bell housing...The motor he told me sounded like it might have had a wrap and it could possibly be related to the seal leaking due to bearings...needless to say I felt that 4800 was too much for a lot of work that I would have to do so I passed... He also changed the oil before we showed up which I thought was very fishy... anyways thanks for all your help guys I think I learnt a thing of two with the LONG. :)

/ Long Tractor #20  
I was a Long dealer for 20+ yrs and have never seen their rear crankshaft seal leak. However, there is a 5/8"? expansion plug in the end of a pressurised oil gallery at the back of he block that can cause a BAD leak. It's a small cheap part but replacing it is very labor intensive. BTW, what is a wrap?