Long trip in a 1930 Model A Ford, for charity

/ Long trip in a 1930 Model A Ford, for charity #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
This fellow from Oz has been raising money for kidney patients, touring in a Model A.

Vintage Adventurer | Rod Wade, Vintage Adventurer, Australia

If Ultrarunner stops in, I was going to ask him about highway mileage with his A, but I found it interesting how much more fuel the "modern" Plymouth chase car was going through. To be fair, that chase car likely was heavily loaded, and perhaps had some performance mods on the motor.

In the A, they were using Evans Waterless Coolant. I think that is the high performance product that Leno uses in his vintage stuff these days. Jay doesn't have the budget considerations that I do :laughing:, so I haven't priced it yet.

Rgds, D.

/ Long trip in a 1930 Model A Ford, for charity #2  
Very cool. If someone produced a modern look-alike version, they would sell millions. Of course, that would never fly with the crash test insurance party poopers.

/ Long trip in a 1930 Model A Ford, for charity
I always like seeing old machinery restored, and am doubly impressed when it is put to extended use.

The way some people treat their modern cars, I've seen 5 year old ones I wouldn't want to make that long a drive in !

Sadly, you're right Dave..... not for the first time though I'm thinking that many of these safety advances have encouraged a sub-set of drivers just to get stupider.

That article has me curious.... if UR doesn't stop by, I'll have to see if I can dig up some real world fuel mileage figures for the A.

Rgds, D.

/ Long trip in a 1930 Model A Ford, for charity
You're welcome CB. I get a kick out of projects like this, and knew a few others would too....

One thing I've noticed with the site is the linked sub-headings in the green banner at the top - they are easy to miss because of the choice of text colour.

The one THE CAR just below the wreath/crest takes you to a page describing the acquisition of the car, and restoration process. They refer to the aluminum fuel tank they used as long-range, I wonder how much bigger than stock that is ?

Fun stuff, and an epic ride in an 85 y/o machine !

Rgds, D.