Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water?

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #1  

radarshop

Tractor
Rdrshp#500
YM2210D 4x4. Could be an expensive project. Oil is grey on dip stick Ran fine for him this AM. Radiator was dry, oil level was normal. I told him not to start it and let it sit then see if water comes out of pan. Said it overheated on him last fall. Should I run? It looks original and has new mower, box scaper and loader. I have rebuilt 60s Ford 390s and C6 tranis before but never a diesel. Its a 2 cylinder. I see remans are big bucks. Hate to see a good tractor not working. Just looking around for my first loader. Hope you all can tell me if should pick it up or now. He had it listed for 8k with attatchments. Is it worth anything?

Last edited:
   / Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #2  
If it ran fine this morning I have to wonder why the radiator is dry. What model? Not enough info on tractor or different implements to estimate a price. 2 or 4 wheel drive?

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #3  
D should be mfwd.

fill the radiator with water and change the oil and see what happens. if it runs well it may just need a head gasket, if not who knows. offer the worth of the implements if you want the project. not much difference in rebuilding a diesel vs a gas engine.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #4  
Could be an expensive project. Oil is grey on dip stick Ran fine for him this AM. Radiator was dry, oil level was normal. I told him not to start it and let it sit then see if water comes out of pan. Said it overheated on him last fall. Should I run? It looks original and has new mower, box scaper and loader. I have rebuilt 60s Ford 390s and C6 tranis before but never a diesel. Its a 2 cylinder. I see remans are big bucks. Hate to see a good tractor not working. Just looking around for my first loader. Hope you all can tell me if should pick it up or now. He had it listed for 8k with attatchments. Is it worth anything?

Go here and download the PDF manual for the YM2210. Then you can understand that a diesel is easier to overhaul than a gasser engine.

The Yanmar 2-cylinders are a bit loud vs. the 3-cylinders.

Please do not have the tractor run anymore till the coolant is added back in, even if it leaks out or blows out, it is still serving the cooling function.

This model uses the 2T90 engine. It shares some parts with the 3T90 engine in the John Deere JD950. It shares parts with the 2T90LE and 3T90LE diesel generator engines too.
(basically the same engine).

The good news, the 2T90 uses sleeves in the engine, thus EZ to overhaul. Just tap out the old sleeves and installing the new ones, let them soak in a freezer upright for 24 to 48 hours before putting in the block. They will easily slip right in perfectly.

The non-sleeved engines typically will get egg shaped cylinder walls and a bunch of honing and polishing needs to be done a 'certain' way per the Yanmar/John Deere requirements. Just be glad the YM2210 is not like this.

Last edited:
   / Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #5  
If you can handle a 390 and a C6, you can for dang sure do a diesel. Just dont fool with the injector pump. Take the lines off at injectors and then take loose at the pump. Number each one of the lines and Mark it's location on the pump. You may just need a gasket, but all the yanmars ive seen needed a head. Theres a place in Iowa Park Texas that sells the heads for it. I'm not sure what all they carry, but you can check them. I did one, just head and gasket 20 years ago and it's still going strong. Don't let it sit around and lock up. Drain water out and run it a little and let water burn out of cylinder. I think they are good tractors overall.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water?
If it ran fine this morning I have to wonder why the radiator is dry. What model? Not enough info on tractor or different implements to estimate a price. 2 or 4 wheel drive?
YM 2210D they are 4 wd and box scraper brush hawg and loader. They all look fairly new. Guy has only had it couple years and not a wrench kind of guy.

Go here and download the PDF manual for the YM2210. Then you can understand that a diesel is easier to overhaul than a gasser engine.

The Yanmar 2-cylinders are a bit loud vs. the 3-cylinders.

Please do not have the tractor run anymore till the coolant is added back in, even if it leaks out or blows out, it is still serving the cooling function.

This model uses the 2T90 engine. It shares some parts with the 3T90 engine in the John Deere JD950. It shares parts with the 2T90LE and 3T90LE diesel generator engines too.
(basically the same engine).

The good news, the 2T90 uses sleeves in the engine, thus EZ to overhaul. Just tap out the old sleeves and installing the new ones, let them soak in a freezer upright for 24 to 48 hours before putting in the block. They will easily slip right in perfectly.

The non-sleeved engines typically will get egg shaped cylinder walls and a bunch of honing and polishing needs to be done a 'certain' way per the Yanmar/John Deere requirements. Just be glad the YM2210 is not like this.
Im going over Friday with a radiator pressure tester. He changed oil today and filled it with water. Says its running good. His mechanic said condensation but my 72 ford 390 sets for a year some time and oil is always clean. Never had a diesel or a tractor so just Curious and found this site helpful
D should be mfwd.

fill the radiator with water and change the oil and see what happens. if it runs well it may just need a head gasket, if not who knows. offer the worth of the implements if you want the project. not much difference in rebuilding a diesel vs a gas engine.
D should be mfwd.

That's what im hoping head gasket. Going over in couple days with my radiator pressure tester and see whats up.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #8  
Those have a compression release. Be sure to use it!!! This avoids hydro lock if water has gotten into the cylinders from a bad head gasket.

'Common knowledge' on these is crank with compression released until you see oil pressure then drop the compression release and keep cranking, letting the inertia of the flywheel assist the starter.

Hoyetractor.com is that Texas firm that we all rely on for parts.

$8k sounds a little rich with the engine unknown condition. If it looked and sounded like new, then maybe. It's from about 1979 by the way. A well respected model but condition could be anything by now.

Those have a compression release. Be sure to use it!!! This avoids hydro lock if water has gotten into the cylinders from a bad head gasket.

'Common knowledge' on these is crank with compression released until you see oil pressure then drop the compression release and keep cranking, letting the inertia of the flywheel assist the starter.

Hoyetractor.com is that Texas firm that we all rely on for parts.

$8k sounds a little rich with the engine unknown condition. If it looked and sounded like new, then maybe. It's from about 1979 by the way. A well respected model but condition could be anything by now.
Thank You. I will go back on Friday with more knowledge. He says he changed oil and filled the radiator and was running it. I do a pressure test on it and maybe put a camera down the injector holes if he lets me do that.

/ Looked at yanmar 2210D oil is gray is that water? #10  
Forget going into the injector holes. It's a significant project to replace an injector and there's a pre-combustion chamber beneath them that will block a borescope.

Easy starting is the best test of sufficient compression. A good engine will fire right off. Not so much with low compression.