Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit?

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #11  
We are going to find out more on Friday as we are taking a trip up to the dealership and checking things out first hand. He told me for all minor warranty issues he would ship the parts and I could do the repairs and only in the unlikely event of a major failure would it need to come back to the dealer. Seems reasonable to me. This dealership is a family run business and they have been farmers all their life so they seem to understand the requirements of reliability and service... I guess we will see. Also I have checked the 2615HST but it seems a little large for the wife to handle and is abt 2K more, but that is why we are going up to kick some tires and do some test driving.

BTW thanks for the replies.

John
I'll bet your sweet wife could drive a Hummer, a tank, an F14 or a Mahindra 2615. The man who sold me my 2615 HST told me his 12 year old grandson had put most of the hours on the meter of his personal 2615 4WD, cleaning stables with the loader, and other stinking, fun jobs.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #12  
2415 great tractor,

I recently bought a2415HST with FEL and BH .
The tractor was put to work on a ditch digging mission
in rock hard soil trenching about 4 foot deep for 10 hours.
I had some doubts about this project but I can now assure you that
this machine can handle whatever you put in front of it.
The FEL is equally impressive with its 1000 plus pounds of lift capacity.
The addition of a tooth bar for the FEL makes the loader
a formidable digging machine. The engine ran a bit hot after several hours of digging and although I thought about checking the screen in front of the radiator I did not do it. Operator ignorance is all I can say.
The filter was plugged up from all the dust and shaking it out took care of that.
Daves Tractor in Red Bluff is the dealer where I got the tractor and its easy to say that his service and customer dealings are top notch.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #13  
I too have a 2415HST TLB and am very pleased with it. Compare the specs with other 24 HP machines and you wont find anything that will beat it. That's because its really a 28+ hp tractor with all the capacities of a 28 hp machine in a 24 hp size chassis. My minor wishlist for the 2415 would be an addition of a toolbox somewhere and a slightly larger FEL bucket capacity. However, compact utility tractors are just that, compact. Its hard to find good space for even a small toolbox. And I understand why they dont put a bigger bucket on it because somebody would fill it with gravel with no rear ballast and roll it over. Its the most tractor you can buy at a lower price than the other guys.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #14  
Another 10 hours on the 2415HST
My first post was mostly about the use of the BH and now I had a chance to really make use of the FEL and BS.
Growing up on a farm in Switzerland and using a number of different Tractors all with shuttle shifts I can now tell you that I am a converted HST driver.
I was quite set on buying a shuttle shift but heard of the recommendations of Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff. Accordingly, I settled for a HST and cannot overstate the ease of use of a HST. I moved dirt up a very steep hill and taking the foot off the fore-aft pedal stopped the tractor without the need for brakes. At a time when all your attention is needed to make sure the tractor's balance is not compromised, the minimum attention needed to operate the tractor is an extremely valuable asset. Using 4WD and the occasional step on the differential lock will get you out of any situation.
This Tractor deserves a 12 on a scale of 10 for ease of use.
It also ranks a 10 when it comes to power available for the size of the tractor.It will dig in with the attached tooth bar and load a bucket full of dirt like a big boy.
I have operated different equipment over the years and always lost a night of sleep after an 8 hour digging job due to noise and vibration.
This tractor runs very smoothly and the noise level is low. Lost no sleep after this job, again a 10 on smoothness of operation.
Now if they could just make one of these tractor that would not get dirty,
I'd have no complaints at all.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #15  
Great info guys, thanks. I've bounced around the forums, looked at few different models of all colors and like both the Mahindra and Kubota. We have 7 acres, flat, so the primary job will be mowing and of course some FEL work with firewood etc. Can the 2415 handle a 5ft brush hog or is a 2615 required? Most the acreage will be mowed with a brush hog for a while before we build a home so a 60 in sounds much better than a 48. The grass will never be too high due to some restrictions in the neighborhood.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #16  
Great info guys, thanks. I've bounced around the forums, looked at few different models of all colors and like both the Mahindra and Kubota. We have 7 acres, flat, so the primary job will be mowing and of course some FEL work with firewood etc. Can the 2415 handle a 5ft brush hog or is a 2615 required? Most the acreage will be mowed with a brush hog for a while before we build a home so a 60 in sounds much better than a 48. The grass will never be too high due to some restrictions in the neighborhood.

Yes it should run a 5' cutter, I have customer who use 5 footers on the 2015. I know that is marginal on a 2015, but should be no problem on the 2415. Good luck with it.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #17  
Thanks

I see where the Mahindra website has the 2415HST at 0% for 60 months. :D

Don't like to finance much but that is hard to beat.

Our ten year anniversary is next month, is it acceptable to buy yourself a gift? ;)

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #18  
Thanks

I see where the Mahindra website has the 2415HST at 0% for 60 months. :D

Don't like to finance much but that is hard to beat.

Our ten year anniversary is next month, is it acceptable to buy yourself a gift? ;)

As to buying yourself a gift....if you do it, just make sure you don't call it a gift to her. I did this a couple years ago, I saw a nice supercharged 5-speed Mustang, lowered, loud, fast and a real handful to drive. It liked to go sideways and the car smoked all the time, coming out of the rear fenderwells. So I bought it for me, but told my wife it was for her. Well, she took the keys and drove it every day. Backfired on me, but it still makes me chuckle. The next car I bought for me was for me, I didn't try the "this is for you" trick.

The 2415 does fine with a 5' mower. I have a 6' flail I am going to hook to my 2415HST and see how it will do in my small orchard next time I mow. It should pull it ok as the grass is kept fairly short.

Flyboy keeps his tractor nice, but you should see his plane! Nice! Maybe he will post a picture of the 2415HST next to it.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #19  
I run a 5' rotary cutter on my 2415 with absolutely no problem. I too questioned it before I actually tried it. Remember, the 2415 and 2615 (2816?) have the same engine and it has been reported to dyno at 28+ hp. Mahindra has done you a favor and actually given you more engine than you thought. The HST works wonderfully in your favor also. You are able to 'sneak up' on saplings and super thick grass and take small bites, eliminating bogging your engine if you are careful. I even mowed my neighbors property in reverse because It was unfamilar and had a lot of poplar saplings. This doesnt expose your undercarriage to unknown stumps and rocks, the mower finds them first, which usually isnt a problem if you go slow. Id rather sharpen or replace blades than hydraulic parts or an oilpan. Heck, Id rather buy a whole new mower than a lot of stuff underneath my tractor! My $.02.

/ Looking at a 2415HST are they a good unit? #20  
We have been 'loaned' our friends 2415 HST and in the month of trying it out, learned that it is Avery powerful, easy to handle, and it doesn't rip up the grass when you rearrange the landscape. We have 2 ac and bought a 4' tiller for the farming, talk about ez my wife works the tiller but not the back hoe or the loader. last week I mowed the field, grass and hay from waist to shoulder height and NO PROBLEM! Anything can be abused but I see this unit will in our property and the local dealer has been very good. Oh did I mention we used the bucket to pull out a 3 year old 10' tree and it has pulled out 3-4 year old grapes, lifted the backhoe, but finessed it and worked fine. WE give it a 10:):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: