Tractor Sizing Looking at a Bobcat CT2540

/ Looking at a Bobcat CT2540 #1  

Kep1a

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 2840
I want to purchase a Bobcat 2540 but was considering a 2535 however after testing it, It is too under powered for my hilly terrain and use. I have a 13% grade section of driveway I have to grade and I don't think the 2535 will be able to do that steep grading. It barely made it with the backhoe on. It dropped to 1700rpm while at full hand throttle. To be honest my recently sold Montana 2840 seemed to be far better in the power department. I was considering the 2540 but find it is only 2.7hp more than the 2535. I also noticed something very odd about the 2540 when compared to the 2535. While they both have exactly the same specifications and dimensions as well as options the 2540 is 796# heavier than the 2535. Why?

Have they done something to or in the drive train that made it heavier? Is this where they get better performance from? I am considering letting them bring out a 2540 but the 2.7hp increase seems like nothing to me. Is there a reason it weighs more but is technically the same tractor but with a 2.7 horsepower increase. Whats up with the 796 extra pounds?

I am torn as to whether I should just see what I can do for a deal on a 5 series instead of spending over $2500 extra for a puny 2.7hp bump for the 2540.

Thoughts?

/ Looking at a Bobcat CT2540 #2  
The literature posted on line is wrong. The tractors are the same except for the engine HP. This is from the operators manual.
1706725475564.png

/ Looking at a Bobcat CT2540
The brochure at the dealer is where I got my information. So you pay $2500+ for 2.7hp? That would barely offset the AC operation. That seems very odd to me. Is it possible the HP quoted in the brochure is wrong too? It says 37.6hp in the brochure Seems all the 5 series engines 50hp and up are turbo. Possibly the 45hp is too but I can't confirm that.

Last edited:
   / Looking at a Bobcat CT2540 #4  
All CT50XX tractors have the same engine and are turbo. All have common rail injection engines and HP is set by the engine controller.
All CT50XX tractors are the same weight and use the same loader.

/ Looking at a Bobcat CT2540
Okay I bit the bullet and moved up to a CT5555 waiting on the backhoe delivery and install. I'm glad my dealer worked with me. I suspect that with my 4960' to 5100' elevation power production is lower than advertised. I think that the normally aspirated Daedong 3 cylinder is greatly hindered by the elevation for power production. I can only hope the turbo and extra HP makes the difference. We shall see I guess