Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions?

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I am about to make the leap from jap compacts to a red white and blue utility tractor, and leading the race is a 1700hr '65 Ford 3000. This is a basic model - no ps, no live pto, straight 4spd. Any thoughts? I am thinking I can get it for $4,000 - original good paint, but certainly not parade ready. All seals, hoses, electrical has been replaced. Radiator re-cored. New battery. Owner says it has a generator, not alternator - does this mean it is still 6volt?

Also, anyone know the lift capacity of the 3pt?
Lastly, the rears are probably 50% at best. What should I expect to pay someone to replace the tires (they are loaded /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #2  
What are you wanting to use the tractor for?

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #3  
By the 60's some fords were using 12v gennies... but check anyway to make sure.

Many landscapers and such use ford 3000's around here.. good and solid and handle a front end loader pretty decently.

If it is mechanically intactand in good running condition, that isn't a bad price.

What are you planning on using it for?

Soundguy

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #4  
I've seen a lot of 3000's around here. They're nice, solid tractors.

Horsepower:
Engine - 47
PTO - 38
Drawbar - 33

Like Cowboydoc and Soundguy asked, what are you gonna use it for?

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions?
My uses are the source of constant debate with the wifey. We have 40 acres of farmland that used to be the family dairy. Cows are gone, and 50% of the land is currently planted by a local farmer just to keep it open. The other half (accross a good size creek) is old field that is turning to forest. Up until now I have been steadily increasing the size of my tractors, and have subsequently landscaped about 2 acres around the house and barns with japanese compacts. With that done, now I am going to tackle the fields. I have a 5' medium duty brush hog and cant wait to knock down the unused fields. Then next year I intend to convert the 10 acre field around the house into mowed meadow, with a few new trees. The ford would be primarily an open space mower, and back-blade snow plow tool.

I think the rear track of a ford is a bit more than 5' so my hog might be a bit small, but I wont trade up for now. I am curious how big of a finish mower you guys would suggest however. Since this machine doesnt have power steering I will not look for a loader.

Long range (2yrs+) we will put up a new horsebarn and have 2-3 horses for riding, and an old jersey cow for decoration /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #6  
Sounds like the 3000 would be perfect for your intended use. It would easily handle a 6 foot brush hog, probably would handle a bigger one.

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #7  
Personally for what you are wanting to do I'd pass on this one. There are alot of older tractors out there with power steering, live pto, three point, etc. All the tractor stuff. With what you are saying you are going to need all the good stuff on the tractor. For $4k or maybe a little more you should be able to find a nice used tractor that has ps, live pto, etc.

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #8  
Same here, the 3000 would be a perfect size tractor but I think you could get one with live power and power steering for the price. In this area you would be able to get a 4000 diesel with those options for about that price or a little more. I have a 69 2000 gasser dad bought in the early eighties that I feed and rake with. Tough unit, has set outside for twenty winters always started. I did have to replace a carb. though and a few batteries. I think he bought it then for 1200. But the '75 4000 was only 5k new. Good luck and remember that condition is important and a good deal to you is all that matters. I you find out latter that you got took you can always lie about the price /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I do love those tractors.

Patrick

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #9  
That sounds like an OK price, it's not great, it should have a 12 volt generator on it, think Ford changed to 12 volt in the mid 50's, dont know the lift capacity of the 3 point but most tractors (with a properly operating lift) will pick up more than they can safely carry without some front end weight.

/ Looking at a Ford 3000 Gas....opinions? #10  
Not a bad deal.. not an extremely 'won the lottery' good one though. Ther eis a used 3400 at a local NH deeler right now.. has pow steering and 2 stage clutch and is a bit beefier than that 3000 gas.. for 4200.. so you are at least in the balpark. Sometimes it not all just about money... Like when i wanted my 8n.. I didn't let price be the only determining factor ( was the biggest one though! ).

It should be a fine mowing machine. Sounds like you've got a nice place. We ( wife and I )are doing similare, only less land ( we are now envious of you!).

We've got a longhorn cow, 3 horses, 10 or so chickens, some royal palm turkeys ( 10? ) a couple pigs, etc.

Do yourself a favor... ence it and use a hotwire.. then get some goats.. great lawnmowers.. and they will eat anything ( everything ).

as for the tractor.. you got good advice here.. let your wallet and your conscience be your guide, and make sure you are happy/comfterable with wahtever you purchase.

best of luck on the tractor and your place.

Soundguy