Looking at a MF 65

/ Looking at a MF 65 #1  

jjbenson

Tractor
Kubota L3400 and Massey 65 Mark II Dieselmatic, Bobcat 863H, Yanmar B50 Excavator, CAT E70B excavator, Massey 245
Hey everyone, Im looking at picking up a MF 65 for bush hogging and pulling a 3-4 bottom plow. Metal looks good to me, and the machine looks like its mostly original. not sure of the hours, and tires look to be OK, with some cracks in the treads but still holding air well. Serial number is SDNW, 688XXX, which makes be think its a perkins 203 direct injection. There is a constant drip of fuel form the injector pump, and the bowl looks to be leaking as well. I haven't seen the machine run yet, but I will this weekend. I am told the PS doesn't work, but the owner doesn't know why. It appears he didn't fix anything that didn't effect the machine running. Owner stated the machine runs great despite fuel leak from injector pump.

Do you all have any advice about this machine? anything to look for, or should I stay away? any help is appreciated. Price as is is $1200, and i think i can get it for 900-1000.

IMG_3999-1.JPGIMG_4002-1.JPGIMG_4004-1.JPGIMG_4005-1.JPGIMG_4006-1.JPG

/ Looking at a MF 65 #2  
Thousand bucks for a running 40 hp(ish) diesel tractor? Sounds like a good old machine to me and a good deal. Fuel leaks are cheap, easy fixes.

/ Looking at a MF 65 #3  
ya, i wouldnt shy away from it, even if it needed a new pump they are cheap. I would jump on it. A little work to get it in better shape, but its alot of horse power for cheap. IF this was for sale down the road from my house, i would jump on it. As i think it would make a good hay tractor. I would keep it at 3 bottom plow, 4 i think would be pushing it with this unit.

/ Looking at a MF 65
Thousand bucks for a running 40 hp(ish) diesel tractor? Sounds like a good old machine to me and a good deal. Fuel leaks are cheap, easy fixes.

its interesting you say 40hp(ish). I've read anywhere from 40 to 52, and this one has the bigger diesel. The current owner stated it was 65HP, and I know thats incorrect. even the data from tractor house seemed all over the place.

/ Looking at a MF 65
ya, i wouldnt shy away from it, even if it needed a new pump they are cheap. I would jump on it. A little work to get it in better shape, but its alot of horse power for cheap. IF this was for sale down the road from my house, i would jump on it. As i think it would make a good hay tractor. I would keep it at 3 bottom plow, 4 i think would be pushing it with this unit.

Thanks for the insight on the plows. I've been wondering what size would work, and until last week didn't realize there were different size plows...(12",14", 16", ETC.) I think i will take it home as long as it doesn't blow blue
smoke all over the place when i see her start up.

/ Looking at a MF 65 #6  
Tough and powerful tractor. I've used different 65MF and 800 Fords since they came out in late 60s and the 65s are noticeably more powerful than 800s. Unless rear wheels have ballast,you can't tax the engine.

/ Looking at a MF 65
I just read some interesting information on the Multipower, which worries me a little. Apparently if it goes out and all you have is low gear, the engine free wheels and there is no engine brake. and I am told one brake doesn't work at the moment, although it could just need adjustment. Ive noticed this with several tractors I've looked at in the last year...if something broke or stops working, a lot of guys didn't bother to fix it if it didn't really affect the machine operation. As long as they could still get by, the just left it broke...

/ Looking at a MF 65 #8  
Multipower isn't something you can diy nor will you find much real help here or elsewhere. Non of the other problems you have mentioned are deal breakers,less than well functioning Multipower would be a deal breaker for me.

/ Looking at a MF 65
Multipower isn't something you can diy nor will you find much real help here or elsewhere. Non of the other problems you have mentioned are deal breakers,less than well functioning Multipower would be a deal breaker for me.

That’s what I keep reading. Fingers crossed the multi power is functioning when I check her out!