Looking at Dodge 2500

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #11  
Don't know about the 2500. I had 04 1500 with hemi. Great truck, 100,000 miles and no maintenance problems. Changed oil every 3-4 thousand miles. One set of tires and a few wiper blades. Nothing else, averaged close to 17 mpg with mixed driving. Have 08 cummins now and other than towing over 8,000 lbs., I wish I had the old truck back.

Eddie

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #12  
Chris, what year truck was your Dodge? Was it a 2003 to 2009? I've owned two of them of which I still own one. I didn't take the name Dodge Man lightly. If he asked about Fords I would consider you more of an expert. And we already know, your third cousin on your mothers side also had transmission problems with his Dodge.

I know it seems unlikely, but I try to give a neutral opinion based on my actual knowledge of what the OP is looking at. Another thing fit the OP to look at, it's common the blend doors fail. Make sure you can switch the air between the vents, floor, and defogger.

It was a 2003. I wanted a 1500 but you could not get a Hemi if I remember correctly that first year. I got talked into the 2500 by the salesman. I also liked the idea of a solid front axle since at the time I also had a solid front axle F350 SRW diesel.

It was a short bed crew cab 4x4. I believe it had 3.92 gears???? I traded in a 2001 F150 4x4 SuperCrew. I will admit I bought it off the commercial. Remember the teo Redneck Boys with "You got a Hemi in that"

Chris

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #13  
I've got a 2006 Mega Cab (2500 Chassis) 4x4 and Hemi/Auto. Just turned 75k. Only thing I've had to replace so far is the oil and tires. Give it a good looking over and ask for maintenance records. As long as it's taken care of it will last another 100k miles. And yeah, I average 12-14mpg. But unloaded the truck weighs right at 7k lbs, so I don't expect much more than that. I can and have gotten over 16mpg on the highway if I work at it.

DSC_0121.jpg

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #14  
In the market for a new work truck. Found a Dodge 2500 club cab 4x4 with a 5.7 v8 in it. It has auto trans, and is clocking about 100k. I think I can get it for about $8500. What is the deal on this setup. What to look for? Anything to avoid?

It is a 2005 model.
I drive a 2500 Dodge 4X4 diesel The only thing if I were making and improvements is heavier metal on tail gate and bed area.

100k just breaking in the engine. also drive for a man that has 2 Ford 3/4 ton trucks never go anywhere with out 30' cattle trailers both have 250 /275 Th. miles and still engines has never been overhauled or needed much repairs.
And I expect the same with my Dodge.
ken

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #15  
My 02 cents - I have the 03 cummins 3500 really like it ,it has the 6 speed manual. I posted about my nephews new 2012 in another thread- having trans problems , Dodge took the auto back and he ordered up a manual version . he's very happy .

So when it came time for his girlfriend to get a truck (horses- trailer) they bought a 1500 manual 03 liked it but really wanted the Cummins, so she traded it in on an 04 2500 Quad cab, with the auto trans and about 140,000 miles... I asked if they were nervous about the auto- and his thinking has apparently improved on the auto's reliability.

He said he had done more research and is confident in the auto equipped trucks... The dealer offered a 2 year warranty on the drivetrain the cost equivalent to 1 year worth of payments.... Don't believe they will spend the money- so I guess they trust the auto's, One more Dodge auto truck in the family a 99 auto equipped V8 1500 bought new , now at almost 200k miles. just replaced the vss (vehicle speed sensor) total cost $60 including labor...the only transmission problem it has had:thumbsup:

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #16  
They had these pretty well sorted out by 05. Some say it is the best year of the 3rd gen rams. Typical to look out for is rust around the rear wheel wells and front end component wear (which could have been replaced with better aftermarket or with the same throw away stock parts by now). I had and 02/03-05 style truck and a 06-08 style truck and there were slight improvements with the Trans programming but a step backwards in styling and interior quality. The 5 speed Trans has 2 overdrive ratios with 3rd gear being 1:1. 03 to 05 would not allow you to manually select 3rd gear like the 06 up trucks which helps when towing. 03-05 only gives you the choice to use tow haul mode which does not allow the trans to up shift into 5th gear but it still uses 4th, which is and overdrive gear. When towing heavy or something with wind resistance they tend to shift allot between 3rd & 4th more than the 06+ trucks where you could just put the trans in 3rd and roll down the road. Let me know if this makes no sense.

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #17  
They had these pretty well sorted out by 05. Some say it is the best year of the 3rd gen rams. Typical to look out for is rust around the rear wheel wells and front end component wear (which could have been replaced with better aftermarket or with the same throw away stock parts by now). I had and 02/03-05 style truck and a 06-08 style truck and there were slight improvements with the Trans programming but a step backwards in styling and interior quality. The 5 speed Trans has 2 overdrive ratios with 3rd gear being 1:1. 03 to 05 would not allow you to manually select 3rd gear like the 06 up trucks which helps when towing. 03-05 only gives you the choice to use tow haul mode which does not allow the trans to up shift into 5th gear but it still uses 4th, which is and overdrive gear. When towing heavy or something with wind resistance they tend to shift allot between 3rd & 4th more than the 06+ trucks where you could just put the trans in 3rd and roll down the road. Let me know if this makes no sense.

I'm not positive, but I think the 3/4 tons only came with a 4 speed automatic, at least I know that is the case with the Cummins powered trucks.

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #18  
F-I-L has 2005 2500 Heavy Duty. With the larger crew cab (not mega cab) and a long bed. It has the 5.7 Hemi in it with a 5-speed auto. We took it and my utility trailer to Florida last year to pick up a '76 Corvette that he bought. Man, that was an uncomfortable truck. Between the seats being uncomfortable, no way shape or form could I get it adjusted to fit me, him adding some type of air intake that whistled every time you gave it the gas, an aftermarket exhaust that was loud - especially once the car was on the trailer and the fact that you couldn't lock 5th gear out so it was constantly shifting even it tow haul mode. It was just a miserable trip. This is with a truck that had less than 15k miles on it when we left. Yes, 15k. Between the horrible gas mileage (even just with the empty trailer) and the fact that he wouldn't let the gas gauge get below half tank we must have stopped every 100 miles for gas. I would have rather taken my much older with many more miles half ton Silverado. I think it would have been a much more comfortable ride and done probably 3 times the fuel mileage and actually pulled the trailer and car better. I tow heavy with my Silverado, so I know how it will behave as I tow our 10k lb 36' camper with it.

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #19  
F-I-L has 2005 2500 Heavy Duty. With the larger crew cab (not mega cab) and a long bed. It has the 5.7 Hemi in it with a 5-speed auto. We took it and my utility trailer to Florida last year to pick up a '76 Corvette that he bought. Man, that was an uncomfortable truck. Between the seats being uncomfortable, no way shape or form could I get it adjusted to fit me, him adding some type of air intake that whistled every time you gave it the gas, an aftermarket exhaust that was loud - especially once the car was on the trailer and the fact that you couldn't lock 5th gear out so it was constantly shifting even it tow haul mode. It was just a miserable trip. This is with a truck that had less than 15k miles on it when we left. Yes, 15k. Between the horrible gas mileage (even just with the empty trailer) and the fact that he wouldn't let the gas gauge get below half tank we must have stopped every 100 miles for gas. I would have rather taken my much older with many more miles half ton Silverado. I think it would have been a much more comfortable ride and done probably 3 times the fuel mileage and actually pulled the trailer and car better. I tow heavy with my Silverado, so I know how it will behave as I tow our 10k lb 36' camper with it.

Now that you mention it I loved the size of my Rams cab but hated the seats and overall feel. It was loud like you said. Mine was bone stock but with the factory tires you could not hold a cell phone conversation at 65 mph. Something I had no problems doing in my 99 F350 diesel I had also. The Hemi did have a sweet "redneck" tone to it though. It was fun for the first 15 minutes but on trips it got old like you said. Used to give the little lady a headache.

Chris

/ Looking at Dodge 2500 #20  
i don't remember my 02 or friends 05 being that uncomfortable but my 08 was pretty bad, but it was bullet proof over 4 years and 80k miles. so i ended up getting a 2012 2500 hemi with the new 6 speed trans and it is a 10x nicer truck with hopefully the same trouble free service.