Looking at Dozers

/ Looking at Dozers #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I need to get a dozer to do some light land clearing and build some access trails through my forest. It needs to be small enough to load on my 12K trailer. A Case 350 and a PowerTrack have cropped up on the local Graig's List in the $6K range. My budget is +/- $7K with minus a plus. I plan to get the work done over the next year and then re-sell. Must have a 6 way blade and a winch would be a plus as well as rear hydraulics. It has been a long time since I have been into dozers. I seem to recall the Case 350 had some mechanical issues even when new. Recently saw on a forum thread that the PowerTrack were kind of a dog also. Was any thing else ever made W/3PT connection and a dozer blade, I know there were AG tracks that had such but no provisions fror a blade. Any help out there to help me decide?

Ron

/ Looking at Dozers #2  
I have a komatsu d20 that is a great little dozer. I'd recommend them if you can find a deal. Most of them are closer to 10k if they are in good working condition with a decent undercarriage. They are light but will do the job if you take your time. I haul mine with a 3/4ton p/u.

/ Looking at Dozers #3  
I would personally rent one as if you have engine problems or track issue the resale value will be zero. You can not buy much of a dozer for anything less then $25k at a minimum.

/ Looking at Dozers
I wish I could afford a JD 450 or so but out of my budget. Also anything heavier than 12K I cannot haul w/o buying a bigger trailer also. Thats part of the rental problem, JD 450(smallest they have) cost, 3500/Mo to rent and $375 hauling fee each way, even for service at least twice in the month. I do not have the time to work it 12 hrs/day to get the job done in a week. Minimum around here to hire it done is $150.00/hr plus fuel. I am fully capable of operating a cat. Probably an 80 hour job. I guess it is risk for less or pay a known higher cost.

Ron

/ Looking at Dozers #5  
I picked up my D31p for 6500 and done wiring clean-up and some welding on it but its worked for me around the farm for 2yrs nowView attachment 278885

Im guessing you need to move it from place to place?

/ Looking at Dozers #6  
I believe that as long as you half way know what you are looking at, you CAN get a cheap dozer and not be sorry. We have twice, still have both of them and both have paid for them selves countless times over.

First one was an old 1962 Case 310. Paid $3200 for it, ran it for about 200 hours and broke a final. Cost $1200 for a rebuilt final. then put another 600+ hours on it and decided to do a partial restore on it. All new hydraulics, pump, hoses. Radiator, valve job etc. I now have a total of $8600 in it. I have put over 1000 hours on it when I wanted to and needed to, not at someone else's time frame. Well worth it to me, but if you are the type of person that pays someone to do the work, then it is not the type of machine for you and I am sure that the total amount invested would be a lot more.

Second one was an old 1943 Cat D6. Paid $1600 for it. Invested $52 in a new piece of brass for the bottom radiator fitting and changed all the fluids. This tractor has paid for itself 10 times over easily, I'm sure more. Is it warn out, you bet it is, but it just keeps on going. When it seriously breaks, it's done, it's that simple.

None of these cheap tractors are any good for commercial use. But for a weekender that is only using it when they need it and for a few hundred hours a year they are the way to go IMO. But and it is a big BUT, you have to be able to work on these things yourself. If not, then you need to be looking in the $25K+ range as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Me, I just don't have the money to pay anyone to work on my stuff, I have to work on everything myself.

Attachments

• P2210014.JPG
    P2210014.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 243
  • P2210008.JPG
    P2210008.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 182
  • P2210002.JPG
    P2210002.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 172
  • P1010105.JPG
    P1010105.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 325
  • P1080066.JPG
    P1080066.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 218
   / Looking at Dozers
Mt View, thanks for your support. I have more time than money and I do all I can myself short of engine work. I have a well equipped shop, tools and welding and the mechanical skills. I have no qualms about hard work even at my extended age.

Ron

/ Looking at Dozers #8  
I believe that as long as you half way know what you are looking at, you CAN get a cheap dozer and not be sorry. We have twice, still have both of them and both have paid for them selves countless times over.

First one was an old 1962 Case 310. Paid $3200 for it, ran it for about 200 hours and broke a final. Cost $1200 for a rebuilt final. then put another 600+ hours on it and decided to do a partial restore on it. All new hydraulics, pump, hoses. Radiator, valve job etc. I now have a total of $8600 in it. I have put over 1000 hours on it when I wanted to and needed to, not at someone else's time frame. Well worth it to me, but if you are the type of person that pays someone to do the work, then it is not the type of machine for you and I am sure that the total amount invested would be a lot more.

Second one was an old 1943 Cat D6. Paid $1600 for it. Invested $52 in a new piece of brass for the bottom radiator fitting and changed all the fluids. This tractor has paid for itself 10 times over easily, I'm sure more. Is it warn out, you bet it is, but it just keeps on going. When it seriously breaks, it's done, it's that simple.

None of these cheap tractors are any good for commercial use. But for a weekender that is only using it when they need it and for a few hundred hours a year they are the way to go IMO. But and it is a big BUT, you have to be able to work on these things yourself. If not, then you need to be looking in the $25K+ range as was mentioned in an earlier post.

Me, I just don't have the money to pay anyone to work on my stuff, I have to work on everything myself.

I noticed the "Parson's Trencher" in your equipment list. I ran a Parson's Trenchliner one summer which was a diesel over gas (or vice versa?) bucketed trencher. The thing was a beast but under the right soil and conditions could seriously dig some trench.

/ Looking at Dozers #9  
Ron, no problem. A lot of guys bad mouth crawlers to no end, say that they break down all the time and are money pits. Maybe I have just been lucky, but that just has not been my experience. What gets me is how some complain about maintenance costs. But if you consider how much works gets accomplished, are the costs really any higher?

Good luck in your quest. ;)

/ Looking at Dozers #10  
I noticed the "Parson's Trencher" in your equipment list. I ran a Parson's Trenchliner one summer which was a diesel over gas (or vice versa?) bucketed trencher. The thing was a beast but under the right soil and conditions could seriously dig some trench.

Our trencher is about on it's last leg, but still going. :thumbsup: It has the old 4 cylinder Industrial Ford gas engine in it. Purrs like a kitten. The trencher has all carbide teeth, the round ones that are suppose to spin while digging. Digs a 9" wide trench and have adaptors to get it out to 12".

Digs 60" deep, crummer is gone, so leaves about a 54" deep trench with 6" of powder in the bottom. :cool: We put in about a mile of 3" water line with it along with a few off chutes of 2". Dug through solid granite several times, barely slowed it down, but sure did ware on those carbide teeth. :eek:

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    397.6 KB · Views: 425
  • P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    405.8 KB · Views: 367
  • P3310032.JPG
    P3310032.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 300