Looking at used flatbed trailer

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #1  

tc18ny

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota B3200HSD
I've been looking for a couple years for an inexpensive flatbed trailer to haul my TC18 around. Very hard to find something without spending at leat $1200. My neighbor/ friend has a camper frame (rolling chassis) that he picked up at auction 2 years ago and hasn't done anything with it. He said I could have it for what he paid-$250. It looks to be in good condition other than surface rust. It has tandem axels, shocks, electric brakes and all steel C channel frame. It's about 6-7 ft wide and 18 ft long. It will need to be sandblasted and painted ( I can do). I'm thinking that with 2'' pressure treated decking, this thing should be able to haul my tractor and a whole lot more. I think a camper this size probably weighs about 4500 lbs? Anyone have an idea as to what this trailer would be rated at if I made into a flatbed? Do you think it would make a good trailer for the intended purpose? Would it be worth the investment if I spend another $300 to make it useable?
Dave

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #2  
I don't know how NY law works. Still, the first question, I'd ask is: does the trailer have a title? You might be able to come up with a weight limit by looking at the tire ratings, number of lug nuts, the springs, the axles and the coupler.

Dexter has an online catalog that you can look at for axle comparisons. They list the number of lug nuts and other info that should enable you to determine an approximate wheel capacity.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer
I did notice that the wheels are 6 lug. The axles look fairly heavy, if I had to guess...2500 or 3000.

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #4  
A standard 5-lug axle like what is beneath my 1977 20' travel trailer is rated for 2500 lbs. If you have 6 luggers then you can get more on it, they are usually no less 3500 lb axles and is why ost of the tandem axle car hauler trailers are rated for 7000 lbs. A 6 lug patterned axle can be higher but is almost never lower than 3500 lbs each. Then check the tires to be sure they can handle it.

The frame structure is typically not the limiting factor if it is in good shape.

Check ebay for trailers. There are several manufacturers from the center of the country cranking them out for not much money. They are attracted like flies to ebay.

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer
I looked at it closer over the weekend. The perimiter frame is 6'' x 3'' box steel, and the cross supports are 6'' tall Z channel steel. I want to buy it, but I'm having trouble finding out how to get it rated and on the road. I'm in NY, if anyone has and suggestions, please speak up.
Dave

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #6  
Does the trailer have a title? If there's no title, the trailer frame may be useless except for off-road service depending on the law in your state. When I've had questions like those I've called the main office of the state DMV. In odd situations, I've found that you cannot always depend on a branch office for factual info.

If there's a title, it may have a load rating listed.

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #7  
I'm a long way from NY so I don't know the state laws. but as I see it ,what you are buying is not a trailer it is a frame, finish it up with a deck, lights, tie downs and brakes then have it registered as a "home built" trailer. Some states require an inspection on home built trailers before issuing you a title. If this is the case in NY the inspecting official should issue you a VIN and a weight rating. Check with your DMV or State Highway Patrol to see what applies in your case.

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #8  
Dave,

Home made trailers which yours would be need to be weighed first at someplace like a junk yard with a scale. They fill out a slip which you take to the DMV. You fill out the trailer paperwork as home made and give them the slip. You will get a VIN number to engrave on the frame and then you pay according to the weight of the trailer for costs. You get your plate and then have a 10 day temporary sticker for inspection of the lighting.

Hope this helps. (I've done this before can you tell??) Regards Bob

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #9  
I think the frame would be to lightly constructed. In the long run you would be better off if you waited to find one that is built heavier. I looked at one today and my first thought was " Man it woundnt take much to over load this!"It might be great for hauling leaves.

/ Looking at used flatbed trailer #10  
tc18ny,

This link to the NYS DMV may help, I came across it last night trying to find information on tie down requirements (which of course I did not find! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

Anyhow this may help on the Homemade Trailer. My brother and I built a pontoon boat trailer a few years ago for my father and he had no problems registering it.

NYS DMV Link