Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #1  

cjburke42

Tractor
John Deere 1530, John Deere 1650
I have a 1984 JD 1650 (yanmar built).
Seems to be hard to find parts for. Tractor currently has 2900hrs but would like to find source for future as I plan to keep the tractor.

I am at a loss...

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #2  
Have read here that going to a Yanmar site is helpful for finding parts. Don't have the site to link to, but maybe you can google it, or some member will chime in here.

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #3  
Seems to be hard to find parts for. Tractor currently has 2900hrs but would like to find source for future as I plan to keep the tractor.

I am at a loss...
Have you been to your JD dealer? JD has a huge parts network and if there are parts available they should know how to find them.

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts
Yeah I've not posed the question to JD dealer I do not have a real local /close by shop.
Mainly thinking along the lines of injection pump, engine wear etc. When I google the numbers I don't see rebuilt kits or anything hardly for the engine.

Attachments

• ipump.jpg
    ipump.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
   / Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #5  

I am at a loss...
Those 1250 through 1650 were certainly nice tractors. They were 100% Yanmar built, and it is hard to do better than that. I've heard before that parts are hard to find for the 12/14/1650s. That's not like Deere.

Try to get in touch with Leonard Shaeffer at Japanesetractorparts.com. He was active in bringing in Japanese parts during the time that your tractor was made. He's retired but he built the business and I've heard he or some of the old peope are still involved.
rScotty

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #6  
Yeah I've not posed the question to JD dealer I do not have a real local /close by shop.
Mainly thinking along the lines of injection pump, engine wear etc. When I google the numbers I don't see rebuilt kits or anything hardly for the engine.
The JD1450 is really the same engine as the JD1650. The JD1450 is with-out the turbo. Look at the rebuild kits for the JD1450 to see if the numbers cross over.

1711380815842.png

Should you reach out to the Yanmar parts network found on the YTOG, then these engines would match too.

1711380969335.png

Do not get anything related to the YM7000S. The 4T98T is only shared with the larger Mitsubishi tractors of that era.

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #7  

I am at a loss...
Does it need anything now? Being a 40 year old JD/Yanmar with 2900 hours is 73 hrs/ year. In another couple of decades it will be up around 4500 hours and that is still just the middle of middle age for a diesel of that era.
Gear transmissions typically last even longer.
The problem point on all the older Yanmars & JD/Yanmars was water intrusion. The fuel cap, the floor shifters, the steering wheel center, the F&R axle vents, and the brakes all let water in.

If you tarp or shed it and do routine maintenance it may not need much.

Does it need anything now? Being a 40 year old JD/Yanmar with 2900 hours is 73 hrs/ year. In another couple of decades it will be up around 4500 hours and that is still just the middle of middle age for a diesel of that era.
Gear transmissions typically last even longer.
The problem point on all the older Yanmars & JD/Yanmars was water intrusion. The fuel cap, the floor shifters, the steering wheel center, the F&R axle vents, and the brakes all let water in.

If you tarp or shed it and do routine maintenance it may not need much.
You are correct chances are low, just want to have a resource when I go to fire it up and the injector pump decides to go on permanent leave. In the low hrs its used it is mission critical so to speak.

I did reach out to Mr. Shaeffer and he did respond that he was checking just not heard anything as of yet.

The JD1450 is really the same engine as the JD1650. The JD1450 is with-out the turbo. Look at the rebuild kits for the JD1450 to see if the numbers cross over.

View attachment 858991

Should you reach out to the Yanmar parts network found on the YTOG, then these engines would match too.

View attachment 858992

Do not get anything related to the YM7000S. The 4T98T is only shared with the larger Mitsubishi tractors of that era.
Wow that's a great resource I didn't know was an option. Thank you!

/ Looking for 1984 JD 1650 parts #10  
You are correct chances are low, just want to have a resource when I go to fire it up and the injector pump decides to go on permanent leave. In the low hrs its used it is mission critical so to speak.

I did reach out to Mr. Shaeffer and he did respond that he was checking just not heard anything as of yet.
Rattle his cage from time to time. He is nearly as old as I am....

I think you are lucky to have that tractor. It was one of the last or an era that was made to last forever and be rebuilt as necessy. Basic in every way. Mechanical injection and automotive type electrics. That basic engine was also popular in generators and in marine use. So engine parts are out there. I agree it is smart to find sources for parts, but I wouldn't worry.

What you have is a such a timeless old diesel tractor machine that any good mechanic will feel comfortable working on it. It doesn't have to go to a dealer - and that is valuable all by itself.

If it were mine I'd see if I could find the original shop & part manuals. That tractor was made at a time when JD still supported factory schools for mechanics and unbeatable manuals.
rScotty