Looking for a CUT

/ Looking for a CUT #1  

Covfam

Hello y'all, Wife & i recently bought a small farm (acres) and looking for a CUT to do the various thing wround the farm, fencing,gravelwork on our 300 yard drive, brushcutting, snowplowing some digging,moving manure/mulching & hay Im needing one that can pull a mini hay baler from STAR, as well as run a 15kw PTO generater, so i have looked at the JD 3320, the Cub Cadet, ex3200 , the Kubota l3700su ,Massey fergesun 1533 Newholland T1520 and the bobcat CT236 and the Toolcat5610. i also looked at some Mahindra,Montana & TYM tractors but didnt care for the feel of them.

The problem is the only new holland dealer around me Keeps trying to sell me a boomer instead of the economy model, the 2 JD dealers want to push off all thier implements onto me up front,
The kubota dealership never returns my calls or emails, and when i drove an hour to them the CUT salesmen was gone and nobody could help me with info,
The Cub Cadet dealer is a local former john deere dealer who refused to do warranty on my JD lawnmower i purchased from him 3 weeks before he became a cub cadet dealer with no warning to me at all,
The Massey ferguson dealer made me count my fingers after shaking his hand. and the only dealer that spent any real time with me and didnt push stuff off on me and really tried to find out my needs was the bobcat dealer.

Im new to farming & tractors (i grew up in a logging family in the northwest) I know of bobcat's reputation with tuff heavy equipment like caterpillar is, but does bobcat make good tractors?

ill be honest the JD felt really nice/looked good,the MF did as well but what good is a tractor without a decent dealer (im not a mechanic)

i must say im a bit disheartened by my last 8 months of tracter looking/testing i had less troubles finding a decent car dealership and felt less dirty.

any advice y'all may have would sure be welcome as you can tell im a bit overwhelmed so far.

Also as for the Bobcat Toolcat 5610 tractor/UTV hybrid on paper it meets all my needs but do any of you know much about them or have experience with them?

Thanks for yer help :)

Last edited:
   / Looking for a CUT #2  
I wish I could help more, around here (Branson, Mo.) we have good Kubota and John Deere dealers within 35 miles. both directions. and I bought an L3400 with La463 loader recently, and am very pleased with it. The L3700 is a special package of the same tractor with a couple more horsepower. and I believe it is a hot deal right now. But like you said if the dealers are no good, not helpful etc. then that is a problem.. I wanted to look at a bobcat but never got around to the lone dealer before I got the Kubota.. Lots of guys on here have them and genverally I believe they like them. they are made by Kioti or at least by the same parent company Daedong (spell?) that makes Kioti in Korea. They seem to have a lot of features for a little less money than a Kubota, or JD. However from what I can tell that money difference is not quite what it used to be. Of course there is a Bobcat forum here, and a Kioti forum so you should peruse them to see what you think. I was kinda of a "blue" guy, but the last 2 tractors have been orange, and I havent had a lick of trouble with either of them, so I guess I am an orange guy now.:) Again wish I could be of more help
James K0UA

/ Looking for a CUT #3  
Might be worth your time to narrow your field to a couple of tractors and more importantly to a few good dealers. I prefer Deere and would find a good Deere dealer to work with. For the most part I have had to make one trip to the dealer in the last 15 years for major service. That said the dealer doesn't need to be next door.

/ Looking for a CUT #4  
What i like about Deere is if you need a part, they either have it in stock or can get it within 2 days.

/ Looking for a CUT #5  
From your post the only trouble you have with Deere is that they want to sell you implements. Typical of most dealers, I would say. In other words, there is not a lot of bad in that.

But, more importantly, you said you liked the Deere. That's a great starting point right there. Try working the Deere dealer and see where you end up. Tell them you don't want 10 implements, you want a tractor to start with. However, I think your best deal on implements will be when you purchase the tractor. Leverage a package deal that you can afford.

This being said, Bobcats are getting some good comments and Kubota owners, for the most part, have no complaints either.

You've got to start some where and from my stand point, pick a dealer that you can trust and work with.

/ Looking for a CUT #6  
Good advice and about all I can do is agree. I prefer Kubota CUT's myself, but not because they are better, they just fit me better. It sounds like the JD fits you and that is a good indicator of what will make you happy.

I also think it can be good to buy a couple of implements when you buy your tractor unless you really want a different brand than that sold by the dealer. I have saved a few bucks doing this.

If you do your own maintenance, you won't see a dealer very often, just to pick up supplies.

/ Looking for a CUT #7  
If you need help with pricing, determining what what you need, etc. feel free to PM me. I am in my 20th year selling Deere equipment and would be more than happy to help you join "Team Green" :D

/ Looking for a CUT #8  
I agree with tripleR, all good advise, I'm a MF person myself. At the end of the day, you will end up doing some of your own maintenance. I get all my parts for my MF from my local JD dealer, the nearest MF dealership is 100 miles away.

Sounds like you don't mind doing your research. Once you've identified by specs what will work for you go and try them all. You have to be happy with your purchase. Dealerships are important, especially through the warranty period, but so far as getting parts later, my JD dealer has gotten me a water pump / fan / shifter boots / steering components and bushings for my 1966 135, and always within 3-5 days.

At the end of the day it's a big purchase, you need to be happy with it. :thumbsup:

/ Looking for a CUT #9  
If you need help with pricing, determining what what you need, etc. feel free to PM me. I am in my 20th year selling Deere equipment and would be more than happy to help you join "Team Green" :D

Sounds like a great resource right there.

Best of luck with your purchase.

/ Looking for a CUT #10  
By your list of activites, I would suggest you need, to start, a loader, a brush mower, and a boxblade. If you have the dealer load the tires or you buy wheel weights, together with the boxblade you will have about the required ballast for safe loader work. The loader is absolutely purchased with the tractor. The boxblade does not have to be anything special, and I personally opted for a cheapie KingKutter from Fleet Farm. The brush mower is where I would spend a little more to get a heavier built machine. I opted for Woods brand. So, get the prices on the implements you need, assuming you are buying them from after-market sources, of the quality level you want, then take them with you to the dealer when you price the tractor with loader. If he can't match the prices, or show you features or quality that justifies the higher price, just pass on the implements. As someone already said, usually there is money to be saved if the tractor and some implements are purchased together. Generally, I shoot for a discount of 15% off the list prices you can see on JD website. Sometimes I settle for less of a discount, maybe 10% off retail. It depends on the time of year, the dealer's situation, the programs available, etc. Also, consider the dealer financing. Often lately there is 0% for three years available. Tough to beat. The 3x20 series JD tractors are very nice, you will not be dissapointed.