Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #11  
Appears to be available from keepingitgreen.com for $318.40. Per jdparts, also subs to M801965 and AM878440. You might try calling keepingitgreen - they have been very helpful to me in the past.

Tim

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard
This is the same status I got last winter when it broke.:mad:

Zero quantity, none available from JD.

The part is on back order and no information on when it will go back in production.

I asked my local dealer to look into it again...

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #13  
That's hard to believe that John Deere doesn't support replacement parts for 13 years, for what was a very long running tractor line x55 (like 15 years). Thirteen years for that 855 tractor is nothing if it was taken care of.

I have a Stihl saw that is 30 years old that only recently my dealer told me that parts are now getting hard to come by.

That's one of society's problems and why they call us a consuming nation. The manufacturers intentionally make their products to be prematurely obsolete and then disposed of as trash, and that forces us to buy a replacement.

Many of the older Deere dealers have been shut down in favor of the big showroom stores, and the older parts were probably lost in the process.

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #14  
I work in a parallel industry and can tell you it's highly unlikely that it's planned obsolence. We, as do most equipment manufacturers, attempt to support our products for as long as possible. Replacement parts normally have very good profit margins and keep customers happy. However, there are certain parts that simply can't be stocked forever at reasonable costs. This part is most likely involves a casting or a forging at some point in it's manufacturing process. Once the last piece of the last casting or forging run is gone, the cost to produce additional parts often far outweights the potential return. Also, if this particular part turned out to be a relatively frequent problem as has been implied, then the original stock of parts would have depleted that much faster. If this issue didn't show itself with enough frquency during the production run, they would not have "over-stocked" the part. By now, the dies may be long gone, the supplier out of business, or many other reasons why deere can't supply the part immediately. There's also the possibility that they may also be waiting to get enough on back-order to justify a run of the part.

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #15  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a place I gave to you on your last "snow" post. You may have missed it.
Try here 1-877-530-4430.
PARTS A.S.A.P.
They specialize in used JD parts and your tractor is listed. I had the same thing happen to my 750 about 10 years ago. The part cost $120 then. Parts were available then but now my tractor is not even listed at this place. Really gives pause to think in terms of purchasing some updated iron . I guess these things are not going the route of say the Ford 8N where to this day you can by brand new parts for. No 40 or 50 year longevity for our stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arrow said:
This is a place I gave to you on your last "snow" post. You may have missed it.
Try here 1-877-530-4430.
PARTS A.S.A.P.
They specialize in used JD parts and your tractor is listed. I had the same thing happen to my 750 about 10 years ago. The part cost $120 then. Parts were available then but now my tractor is not even listed at this place. Really gives pause to think in terms of purchasing some updated iron . I guess these things are not going the route of say the Ford 8N where to this day you can by brand new parts for. No 40 or 50 year longevity for our stuff.

Called PARTS A.S.A.P., they said they'd put in on the hot line and call me back. So far I have heard nothing. I have called them back but still nothing...

I have been without a tractor for 5 months now. The snow is gone. The weeds are growing. I have dirt I need to move.

...and I can't get a part for a 13 year old tractor?
I'm not real pleased right now.

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #17  
Do you have the part off of the tractor? If so please post pics of both sides of it. In my experience, anything that can be broken usually can be fixed or remade if it is not a complicated piece.

UPDATE!

After trying for 5 months, the part is back in stock/production!:D

It is actually in the store, now all they have to do is ship it to me.

Stand down, on the Junk Yard requests!

...although the way this thing's been breaking, finding a used one would be a good thing to do!

Thank you all for your input!
...Now maybe I can go play with my Tractor:D

Pic of broken part, I think it would be tough to cast/weld--again
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/1/sort/1/perpage/12/ppuser/41403

/ Looking for a JD 855 Graveyard #19  
Good to know. Maybe I can look at my tractor a little differently if indeed they are resurrecting some parts and hopefully thru-out the line. If one of my steering arms broke again I thought of having to put a bullet in the left tire and burying my JD 750.