Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing

/ Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing #11  
If I may, you've got enough stuff off...
Maybe expand your search, seems you only need similar wheel bolt pattern, similar u-joint, and exact gear ratio. Other than that, a center hole and a place for tie rods - pretty universal, right?

/ Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing
If I may, you've got enough stuff off...
Maybe expand your search, seems you only need similar wheel bolt pattern, similar u-joint, and exact gear ratio. Other than that, a center hole and a place for tie rods - pretty universal, right?

Not at all as the axle, how it mounts, how it pivots, and how power is transferred through the rear pivot of the front axle housing is specific to Kioti. This isn't like a truck where I can get different gear ratios as needed. This axle doesn't use a differential carrier so changing axle ratios is impossible.

/ Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing #13  
What design flaw do you think contributed to, or caused the front axle housing failure of your Kioti NX6010?

Looks to me there is a big loop of thick cast metal which has one of the pivot point bore holes. I wonder if this continued to flex during operations resulting in the pivot point rapid wear, hence the pivot boss popping out of the bore, then total failure of the front axle. The bore looks very shallow also.

i think a good welder and machine shop could put the assembly back into good shape, and new Kioti gears, bearing installed, then reinstall onto your tractor. I would also gusset plate the large axle loop so to render it as solid as possible with no flexure. A good welder can nickel rod weld to cast steel. Preheat, weld, slow cool. I'll use at least 1/2 plate steel to close those loops up. Kioti should have known this would flex under load. If the steering cylinder passes through the loop, then that is a major design flaw.

Ideas?

What design flaw do you think contributed to, or caused the front axle housing failure of your Kioti NX6010?

Looks to me there is a big loop of thick cast metal which has one of the pivot point bore holes. I wonder if this continued to flex during operations resulting in the pivot point rapid wear, hence the pivot boss popping out of the bore, then total failure of the front axle. The bore looks very shallow also.

i think a good welder and machine shop could put the assembly back into good shape, and new Kioti gears, bearing installed, then reinstall onto your tractor. I would also gusset plate the large axle loop so to render it as solid as possible with no flexure. A good welder can nickel rod weld to cast steel. Preheat, weld, slow cool. I'll use at least 1/2 plate steel to close those loops up. Kioti should have known this would flex under load. If the steering cylinder passes through the loop, then that is a major design flaw.

Ideas?

1) Although cast iron can be welded with the MIG process and specialized flux-cored electrode wires, the resulting welded joint likely would not be as strong as the factory casting. Moreover, there really isn't any extra space to plate the pivot bosses once assembled.

2) The welded part must then be machined at considerable expense, and even then, without one to copy, we're making educated guesses on the alignment.

3) The broken-off rear pivot shown in the photo below, houses two tapered roller bearings, a spacer, and shim stock to support and correctly shim the pinion gear and its shaft and this shaft must be precisely aligned. Since we have no way to support a guide, we'd likely screw up the alignment and shell over $900 of new parts trying on top of whatever expense we'd have in welding and machining the axle's center support.

So yeah, in my mind it would be easier for me to hand the broken bits off to my sister (a manufacturing engineer) and have her design a pattern in Solid Works, that pass that design off to my brother, to have him make the pattern and molds, then send that off to Sure Cast to have them cast a new one (since my brother doesn't cast iron in his foundry), then pass that casting off to Eagle Engineering along with the broken bits (for reference) for the machining, than to screw around and make weaker welds and inaccurately machine the welded bits.

That or I could purchase a new casting, which is what I did, and get to the tedious job of properly shimming the pinion and ring gear which is going to be a PITA just to extract the old housing's six studs and alignment pins.

IMG_4959.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing #15  
Oh, good so those parts are available from Kioti. Did they have an entire front axle assembled for you to just bolt it right back into the tractor? I was under the impression that the housing wasn't available.

Oh, good so those parts are available from Kioti. Did they have an entire front axle assembled for you to just bolt it right back into the tractor? I was under the impression that the housing wasn't available.

The center axle housing arrived much earlier than I expected (just yesterday).

Assembly-wise, it is a good thing I'm a mechanic. Without a differential carrier, this thing is going to be an effort in patience to set up because I must fully assemble the supporting bearings, and then check the tooth pattern with marking grease and measure the backlash on the pinion input shaft (since you cannot see or get at the ring and pinion when assembled), run the backlash through a math problem to get the actual backlash, and then disassemble the thing to inspect the pattern or to change the backlash.

So far the good news is I just found out Fastenall has a store in Bemidji (how did I not know this?), half the distance away from the Fastenal I've been going to, so I'm heading up there to get new studs for the center axle since they are not available from Kioti.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing #17  
" Check the tooth pattern with marking grease and measure the backlash on the pinion input shaft (since you cannot see or get at the ring and pinion when assembled), run the backlash through a math problem to get the actual backlash, and then disassemble the thing to inspect the pattern or to change the backlash."

Did my first one back in 1983, not hard, just takes time to be sure about the meshing. Not too shallow, and not to deep. Center it up good.

Sounds like you got the problem licked.

Since I cannot get new studs, I pulled the alignment dowels and studs out of the broken center axle housing to reuse them in the new axle housing. I've also found a new favorite pliers of all things.

/ Looking for a Kioti NX Series front axle housing #19  
Excellent! Nice tool. I'm an old school double nut stud extractor type myself. Maybe a little heat if they are Loctited in the housing.

The axle is finally going back together with the pinion preload, gear lash set to spec, and the correct contact pattern between the pinion and ring gears. Ended up using a much more accurate dial indicator that reads in 10,000 of an inch than the one in the photo since a math equation is needed to puzzle out the actual gear lash (set to 0.007" with the spec from 0.003-0.008").

Also take note of the world's biggest snap ring pliers I had to buy to install that seriously strong snap ring you can just see on the end of the center axle assembly.

IMG_5346.JPG