Backhoe Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #1  

zmansmac

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
I was always a little jealous of the guys with backhoes because I couldn't come up with a good reason to make this kind of purchase. But now, thankfully, I'm moving to a place where I will really need one. So I've been doing some research on 3 pt backhoes. I can buy a Kubota B4672A hoe from the dealer that I purchased my B7500 from for $6500. He also indicated that I need a B4681 support frame kit and a heavy duty top link bracket. I've done some research on these two items, mostly here on TBN and they seem like an excellent idea. While I know the Kubota hoe is a great piece of equipment it's price is a little prohibitive to me. I've looked at other backhoes like the Woods and WoodMaxx which seem to also be good units. So my question is if I bought an off brand backhoe can I still utilize the Kubota support frame and heavy duty top link bracket? From what I've read and seen in posted pictures it appears I can. Just wondering if anybody has already done this combination.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #3  
I was always a little jealous of the guys with backhoes because I couldn't come up with a good reason to make this kind of purchase. But now, thankfully, I'm moving to a place where I will really need one. So I've been doing some research on 3 pt backhoes. I can buy a Kubota B4672A hoe from the dealer that I purchased my B7500 from for $6500.
Is this new or used ?

I ask because I think I paid around $7500 for the 4690B hoe (the 4672A's bigger brother) that I bought for our B2910 ... but it's been so long I'd have to check to be sure.

That was new ... and was over 10 years ago ... maybe more like 15 ...

Maybe he'll sharpen his pencil a bit ...

He also indicated that I need a B4681 support frame kit and a heavy duty top link bracket. I've done some research on these two items, mostly here on TBN and they seem like an excellent idea. While I know the Kubota hoe is a great piece of equipment it's price is a little prohibitive to me.
If you already have a Kubota front end loader (which will be required for mounting and using the backhoe) you should already have the frame support kit.

Regardless of what brand you go you with you definitely should get the heavy-duty toplink bracket.

I've looked at other backhoes like the Woods and WoodMaxx which seem to also be good units. So my question is if I bought an off brand backhoe can I still utilize the Kubota support frame and heavy duty top link bracket?
On the toplink bracket I would think so.

On the support frame, it probably deppends on the brand 'hoe ... they may have their own required subframe that is tractor specific. While having the frame support shouldn't prevent you from using another brand 'hoe, more may be required.

In any event, like I said previously: If your tractor is equipped with a Kuboa front end loader (which is required for a 'hoe) you should already have he support frame.

From what I've read and seen in posted pictures it appears I can. Just wondering if anybody has already done this combination.
Hope the above helps.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting
RSWYAN, the price I was quoted was for a new hoe. Yes, a have a front loader and read where you need to in order to use the B4681 support frame kit. Even though I bought the tractor new with the loader it didn't have this support kit. My understanding is that it wasn't standard until you got to the next size up model like the B7800. This may be different now with the newer equivalent models. I will definitely upgrade to the heavier top link. But it looks like I will have to wait until I choose my hoe before I can determine if I can use the support frame kit. I'm still a little confused when folks talk about a subframe for their backhoe. In my mind it seems like the backhoe somehow has an attachment to a subframe provided by the hoe manufacturer. But in the case of the Kubota kit, which I have looked the the installation instructions, there doesn't appear to be any mechanical connection to their backhoe and that this kit just minimizes axial movement of the frame and transmission. And if that were the case it would seem like it could be installed for any brand backhoe as long as there were no interference. They call it a support frame kit not a subframe, but maybe those two name are synonymous. This is new territory for me.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #5  
RSWYAN, the price I was quoted was for a new hoe.
Seems reasonable then ... thinking back on it, I might have paid closer to $9K ... I'd have to pull out the paperwork to check.

Yes, a have a front loader and read where you need to in order to use the B4681 support frame kit. Even though I bought the tractor new with the loader it didn't have this support kit. My understanding is that it wasn't standard until you got to the next size up model like the B7800. This may be different now with the newer equivalent models.
Dunno ... could be ... I know it is definitely required with the LA 402 loader on the B2710/B2910/B7800.

May be different on the B7500/B7510/B2410 ...

I will definitely upgrade to the heavier top link. But it looks like I will have to wait until I choose my hoe before I can determine if I can use the support frame kit. I'm still a little confused when folks talk about a subframe for their backhoe. In my mind it seems like the backhoe somehow has an attachment to a subframe provided by the hoe manufacturer.
That is my understanding as well.

But in the case of the Kubota kit, which I have looked the the installation instructions, there doesn't appear to be any mechanical connection to their backhoe and that this kit just minimizes axial movement of the frame and transmission.
That's how it is on the B2710/B2910/B7800 as well.

And if that were the case it would seem like it could be installed for any brand backhoe as long as there were no interference.
Yup.

They call it a support frame kit not a subframe, but maybe those two name are synonymous.
In this particular case, yes.

This is new territory for me.
Enjoy the adventure ... ;)

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #6  
Welder, plasma cutter ... Anything can be made to fit... A little smarts and !!!

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #7  
I'm still a little confused when folks talk about a subframe for their backhoe. In my mind it seems like the backhoe somehow has an attachment to a subframe provided by the hoe manufacturer. But in the case of the Kubota kit, which I have looked the the installation instructions, there doesn't appear to be any mechanical connection to their backhoe and that this kit just minimizes axial movement of the frame and transmission. And if that were the case it would seem like it could be installed for any brand backhoe as long as there were no interference. They call it a support frame kit not a subframe, but maybe those two name are synonymous. This is new territory for me.

Just to clarify a bit. A subframe backhoe does not use the 3pt attachment points on the back of the tractor at all; it has its own separate mounting mechanism, which joins to the axle and loader mounts using a "subframe". The advantage to this is that the subframe mount is considerably more rugged than that for a 3 point attachment and is designed to better handle the loading forces that arise from operating a backhoe. A certain measure of caution is wise with any equipment and a 3 point backhoe should be used with the understanding that it is possible to apply forces with the backhoe that can severely stress the 3 point and tractor rear end. Where the toplink attaches to the tractor is especially vulnerable to these forces; hence the reinforcing kit.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #8  
I was also a little confused "Grandad" about this "reinforced top link ",
as to why it would be needed if the hoe was hooked up to a sub frame.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #9  
Backhoe still works on 3 attachment points in a triangle. The base of the triangle for a backhoe sits on either the two arms of your 3 point hitch or the added sub-frame. The top of the triangle has to attach to something. The added frame does not have a top attachment point. The top of the triangle still attaches to existing or reinforced top part of your tractor's 3 point hitch.

/ Looking for a little advice on backhoe mounting #10  
Maybe there are different types of "subframe" setups, but the ones I'm familiar with do not use the 3 pt attachment points in any way. Here's an image of the left side mounting points for my backhoe; the right side is the same. The subframe extends underneath the tractor as shown in the second photo.View attachment 383394View attachment 383395