Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect?

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #11  
I agree with everything except what clutch are you talking about? It's a HST, there is no clutch.

My HST has a clutch. Left foot.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #13  
On my TC40DA to get it out of range into neutral you have to bump the reverse pedal. To go into high or low range it is just a smooth lever push or pull.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #14  
I have a JD 4320 with 835 hours and I often times have to play with the directional peddles in order to change ranges, I don't like to "force" the stick into ranges so if it doesn't easily start moving, I will lightly roll the tractor forward or reverse to let off pressure? then it will easily shift into any range I want.

It's the first tractor I have owned so I don't have anything to compare it to. Most the time I'm in medium range.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #15  
I agree with everything except what clutch are you talking about? It's a HST, there is no clutch.

I agree that a HST doesn't have to have a clutch, but then again there isn't any reason why not to have one. A clutch is still a useful thing - it's nice to have the option of disconnecting or limiting the power input and output systems... but unfortunately clutches often get deleted. I'm not sure why; it might be to save manufacturing cost and complexity.

The Kubota M59 is a 6 speed HST with a clutch. It does make for an expensive machine, but worth it for the purpose.
I rarely use the clutch other than when starting. But it's nice to have the option. Like a lot of HST, the M59 can be sticky, balky, or downright tough when using the lever to change ranges (L,M,H). It hasn't changed much since new; I've just gotten more skilled at using that reluctant lever. All the tricks mentioned plus using the clutch helps, but I do look forward to Kubota improving the shifting.

Shifting within a range from "slow" to "fast" is via a toggle on the steering column and is effortless. Fingertip. I do that a lot.

Back when I did a lot of PTO work the clutch was real useful. You definitely don't want to just immediately engage the PTO when doing something like running a post hole digger.
rScotty.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #16  
I'm so glad for this post as I'm experiencing the same thing with my first tractor, I began to wonder.

When my dealer delivered the tractor, I remember him muttering something about "yeah, if you ever have trouble shifting, just fiddle with it". Since this seemed to be a normal occurrence, I got to thinking he knew something was wrong and just wanted to blow me off. Same thing with engaging 4WD.

So, yes, with my Mahindra 1533 HST, I quite often bump the rocker pedal when changing ranges or engaging 4WD.

Brian.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #17  

My Kubota 2320 HST has a clutch.

Steve

My HST has a clutch. Left foot.

I agree that a HST doesn't have to have a clutch, but then again there isn't any reason why not to have one. A clutch is still a useful thing - it's nice to have the option of disconnecting or limiting the power input and output systems... but unfortunately clutches often get deleted. I'm not sure why; it might be to save manufacturing cost and complexity.

The Kubota M59 is a 6 speed HST with a clutch. It does make for an expensive machine, but worth it for the purpose.
I rarely use the clutch other than when starting. But it's nice to have the option. Like a lot of HST, the M59 can be sticky, balky, or downright tough when using the lever to change ranges (L,M,H). It hasn't changed much since new; I've just gotten more skilled at using that reluctant lever. All the tricks mentioned plus using the clutch helps, but I do look forward to Kubota improving the shifting.

Shifting within a range from "slow" to "fast" is via a toggle on the steering column and is effortless. Fingertip. I do that a lot.

Back when I did a lot of PTO work the clutch was real useful. You definitely don't want to just immediately engage the PTO when doing something like running a post hole digger.
rScotty.

My Kioti CK27hst has a clutch, too. I cannot engage my PTO without using the clutch.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #18  
May have a clutch but it does little to get the gears lined up to do the range shifting.

David
The clutch removes all pressure from the drive train thus freeing up the range selector. This is the first thing I do to free it up....

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #19  

rScotty.

6 speed HST? I just have 2 directional peddles (forward & reverse) and 3 ranges (L, M, H) to chose from, gears are infinite.

/ Looking for a new hydro tractor, is it normal for the shifting not to be perfect? #20  
6 speed HST? I just have 2 directional peddles (forward & reverse) and 3 ranges (L, M, H) to chose from, gears are infinite.

Yes, I'm not sure of the right terminology myself, and debated on whether to say "speed" or "range" in that post. Using your terminology, I believe the M59 would have the same three ranges (L, M, H) plus it also has a range "splitter" on the steering column which gives the option of slow or fast within each range. That makes a total of six speed ranges. The splitter seems to make about half the difference as shifting the range would do. Splitting is real handy for working on the go, but doesn't quite give as much of a the torque/power change that stopping and making a range shift does.

All six different speeds have reverse and forward like any HST. And there is a hand operated lever on the right for use when your feet are busy with clutch and brakes or turned too awkwardly to work the HST pedal on the floor.

With power for options like thumbs and grabbers at both ends, a really good M59 operator would look a lot like a one man band. But I'm no virtuoso.
rScotty