Looking For A Pole Saw

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #21  
I have always thought that there is a place gas engine tools, a place for electric tools and a place for manual tools. Whatever floats your boat. No best answer.

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #22  
Go with STIHL. Spend more up front and buy the tool only once.

I've owned GreenWorks and B&D machines. B&D used to be a good brand. I have buyers regret as both brands are "use once disposable garbage" in reality and probably won't last you the warranty period if you actually use the tools.

Considering what companies charge for these devices the manufacturers should be forced to take back and recycle the packaging materials (i.e. boxes, plastic and styrofoam) and broken tools.

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #23  
You guys are being trolled ;):p:laughing:

After runner their IP email and usernames you will see. I banned them from my chainsaw repair website asking and trolling same questions over and over.

Also started doing the same post on another site and warned them already and they moved on. :confused2:

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #24  
After I got the Black and Decker I got a Lynxx from Harbor Freight. It works a lot better.

I was going to buy a Lynxx, and I made a deal with someone to sell me his barely used one. Well,
he did not deliver, so I was about to go to HF and get that 20V Lithium-Ion saw for $139 + tax, or
a little over $150 out the door.

Well, I happened upon the Greenworks 40V saw at Orchard Supply, and it was only $129. I bought it
and have used it thru about 3 full charges. One charge wears me out before it runs out of juice. The
oiler does not leak, and man does this blow away my old 18V NiCad B&D. I recommend it.

However, I did have a problem right out of the box! It ran backwards. Not one to return things
easily, and wanting to see inside anyway, I opened it up and reversed the wiring. I decided to
open the motor end, as I knew I could reverse the wiring in there, even if that was not where
they got crossed up. That could have happened inside the trigger end, or inside any of the
pole segments. The pole segments are riveted together.

Attachments

• GW_1.jpg
    GW_1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 294
  • GW_2.jpg
    GW_2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 243
   / Looking For A Pole Saw #25  
I will say, my Lynxx pole saw sat all winter untouched and full of bar oil. My father wanted to borrow it last week, so I warned him that it was going to need filled up with bar oil. He called me back later telling me that he started pouring oil in and ended up over flowing it all over his tailgate because the thing was already full! So my Lynxx saw not only runs and works like a champ, it doesn't leak oil over the winter! A factory freak maybe.

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #26  
I have been scrupulous about not filling the oil tank past the 'max' line and it's not been leaking. I initially filled it all the way like you would with a chain saw and that's when it leaked.

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #27  
I have always thought that there is a place gas engine tools, a place for electric tools and a place for manual tools. Whatever floats your boat. No best answer.

However many of us cannot easily afford to lay out the cash for each tool. Some of us don't even have a boat.

As an aside -
I always get mildly annoyed by people using the aphorism "a rising tide lifts all boats" when talking about the economy. Unfortunately many do not have a boat and are left struggling treading water.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to have all three type polesaws, and their places are side by side in the shed.

Also my Lynxx doesn't seem to leak.

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #28  
Here is what the Greenworks 40V polesaw looks like inside. Overall, it seems well-made.
I like the use of ball bearings on both ends of the ring gear shaft, and a decent amount of
green-colored grease. The pole is metal, as is the chain-catcher. The only nit I see is
that the power wires are twisted together with wire nuts. I reversed and soldered them
before replacing the wire nuts.

So far, so good. I hope the ring and pinion gears hold up. They look OK and mesh well,
but I do not know the quality of steel used.

Attachments

• analyzed.jpg
    analyzed.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 267
   / Looking For A Pole Saw #29  
Here is what the Greenworks 40V polesaw looks like inside. Overall, it seems well-made.
I like the use of ball bearings on both ends of the ring gear shaft, and a decent amount of
green-colored grease. The pole is metal, as is the chain-catcher. The only nit I see is
that the power wires are twisted together with wire nuts. I reversed and soldered them
before replacing the wire nuts.

So far, so good. I hope the ring and pinion gears hold up. They look OK and mesh well,
but I do not know the quality of steel used.
That looks pretty decent. How is that one priced compared to the $129 (on sale) Lynxx?

/ Looking For A Pole Saw #30  
That looks pretty decent. How is that one priced compared to the $129 (on sale) Lynxx?

I have never seen the Lynxx as low as $129. That was the Greenworks. See #24 above.