Looking for advice-buying first tractor

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor
greggh and kozak-

First of all thanks to all for the advice. So far I have looked at Kubota and they seem very suited to what I'm looking for. I think I have convinced myself to avoid the Chinese farm store tractor I mentioned, primarily due to questionalble ease and availability of service. I want to look at JD next, no shortage of their dealers here in Iowa. To answer greggh and kozak, I have an acreage (4 ac. to be exact) with sloping terrain. The primary uses for the tractor would be firewood management, moving around a little dirt, rock, and gravel here and there, general cleanup (downed branches, etc), and driveway maintenance including snow plowing or blowing and smoothing off the crown from time to time (drive is about 350' long and gravel). I do not need the mower as I have lots of obstacles (primarily trees) and my lawn tractor works well for that. I mow probably 2 acres, the rest of the property is wooded. Thanks again to all for your answers, very interesting to read and I'm starting to get excited for snow melting and warmer weather!!

Last edited:
   / Looking for advice-buying first tractor #12  
Hi Gregg,

Have you had a look ad the Cub Cadet/Yanmar EX3200. There is plenty of buzz in this and other forums. They're currently assembled over seas, but they are building a plant here in the US, for this model the EX2900 and the new SC2400 . FYI Yanmar was one of the first mass producers of the Diesel engine, they have been around for a long time. As for the Tractor, it's very similar to the JD790. And because they're trying to get into the market, they're also priced very competitively. Shop hard enough and you should be able to find one with a loader for around $15,500 (another $5 to $6 thousand for backhoe attachment).

I'll let you do you're own diligence, let me know what you think!

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #13  
Hey GregginIowa,
When I read your initial post, I had the same questions as Kozak and Greggh. You see just stating what the HP of the TractorKing tractors doesn't tell me too much.

A 23 HP Kubota BX2350 is a LOT less tractor than a Kioti CK20S. The BX can do some things the CK can't, because it will fit in more places, and it does add a little hp at the PTO. But the CK is 900# bigger before you add the FEL. The bucket lifts much more, and so does the 3pt hitch, so given you already have a mower, and just between those two, I'd probably choose the Kioti if it were in your price range.

If you wanted to mow with this tractor, I'd say Kubota and JD in the under 15k price range are good tractors. Great quality, good power to weight . . . But since you aren't going to be mowing with it, I'd go look at other companies like Kioti and Mahindra, that sell you more tractor size for the money. And also watch the used tractor adds. My BIL got a super low hour B7800 with a FEL and R4's for under 9k on a repo deal. I wouldn't expect a deal like that, but every once in a while you get lucky on the used market. (OK, I don't, but some people do.)

Anyway, look around. Once you figure out what's available, and what size you think you'd like best, then you can compare apples to apples. And if this is your first tractor, buy a little bigger than you think you need, because they really do seem to shrink as you get used to them.

Todd

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #14  
This may be heresy but I'm a believer in saving money by buying used. In the last year I bought an extremely clean low hour Kubota b7100 for $4,500, found it to be a little too small for my needs and wanted a FEL. Sold it for $4,500 and bought a 231 hour Kubota b2400 with FEL for $7,900. It's a keeper. Not as "pretty" as new, but that $5k+ in my pocket sure is pretty. There a a lot of nice low hour tractors out there.

Bruski

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #15  
You got that right.. buying alittle bit used can save big $$$

I got my NH 7610s just about 20 months used.. and saved probably 8k$ off original purchase price. Had to put up with a crumpled fender and a couple scratches.. but the checkbook felt much better.. besides.. that discount got me into a size of a tractor i probably wouldn't have been able to shoot for otherwise..

soundguy

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor
Todd-

I would be happy to look at the Kioti...........if the nearest dealer wasn't 170 miles away. :(

We have a JD dealer about every mile around here and I have 3 Kubota dealers within 40 miles of my house, so I'm kinda focusing in those directions. I wish it were different, but I really want service close by if at all possible. All your advice about size, etc, much appreciated!

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #17  
I agree, dealers are important.

Any Mahindra dealers around? Their 2415 might be in your price range, and it also looks like a LOT of tractor for the money. I the list on their 2415HST is 12,800. Don't know what it'd be with a FEL and attachments. Might be too much.
But with that many Kubota dealers around, make sure you watch Craigs List and any other local posting sites!

Regards,
Todd

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #18  
If Branson is close by, I'd also look at them. I think they are about the heaviest of all, and the loader has an outstanding reputation too. They also are very wide and stable.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #19  
Soundguy said:
You got that right.. buying alittle bit used can save big $$$

I got my NH 7610s just about 20 months used.. and saved probably 8k$ off original purchase price. Had to put up with a crumpled fender and a couple scratches.. but the checkbook felt much better.. besides.. that discount got me into a size of a tractor i probably wouldn't have been able to shoot for otherwise..

soundguy

And I am sure a new fender will not run $8K!! Easier to sleep at night with that kind of savings.

Good job.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #20  
In fact.. the old fender is still on there... i beat it out -mostly kinda straight-.. then tack welded it back on tot he fender frame.. and then rewired the headlamp to work ( headlamps in the fenderframes ).. loks.. ok.. but was cheap fix...

soundguy