Looking for advice on which direction to go

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go #21  
Is snow blowing all you are going to do with it? I think if it was me and snow blowing and maybe mowing were my two needs I would look for a used Deere X400/X500 series. I'm sure you could find one in great shape for a lot less that $10k (probably around half that). Parts shouldn't be a problem for a very long time and it should be rugged enough to handle the tasks.

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go
Yes, all I currently plan to do is blow snow.

I keep vacillating between a garden tractor and a S/CUT. Realistically, I did "ok" with an underpowered GT for almost 20 years, but then again I'm getting to the age that when I look at the next 20 years I don't want to paint myself into a corner, so I'd like to make a single purchase that will last that long without any major hassles, as well as be suitable to be run by an "old guy" (no offense to those nearing 70...).

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go #23  
If you are thinking something that you'll get 20 years out of then that would even more point me towards a 5 year old(ish) Deere vs than a 30 something year old Kubota. I love my Kubota and I bet that even the ones made in the 80s are great tractors but it's not just hours, it's age. Things like seals get hard causing leaks. Then there's sourcing parts, 20 years from now who knows what you will find. There are other brands other than Deere, I only used them as an example because they sold a lot of them and Deere seams really good about parts.

...it's not just hours, it's age. Things like seals get hard causing leaks. Then there's sourcing parts, 20 years from now who knows what you will find.

Good points. Thanks.

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go #25  
Yes, all I currently plan to do is blow snow.

I keep vacillating between a garden tractor and a S/CUT. Realistically, I did "ok" with an underpowered GT for almost 20 years, but then again I'm getting to the age that when I look at the next 20 years I don't want to paint myself into a corner, so I'd like to make a single purchase that will last that long without any major hassles, as well as be suitable to be run by an "old guy" (no offense to those nearing 70...).

===================================================================================

No offense taken,

Do not make the mistake I made and buy a garden tractor to do a row crop tractors job so to speak.

A hard cab with heat and a defroster will cost you more but it will prevent you from becoming so cold you develop pneumonia and frost bite.

Having the needed power and traction is number one.
Having rear ice chains(V bar) and loaded tires is number and having having the rear tires Loaded with liquid ballast is number two
Having a loader shares the number one spot for cleaning up snow where the snow caster cannot be used.
Having a loader also aids in resale value when the time comes as it is a huge selling point and most used scut/cuts dont sell well without them.

Having a loader on a sub compact or compact utility tractor brings more structural steel into the loader frame and bucket BUT do not expect to dig gravel out of bank or scoop out Ice packed snow as you will break everything.

The other major issue is understanding that if you move into the cut series you will have more power and can use a larger snow caster with less work and time needed to clear snow pack.

if you buy an open station tractor try to buy a rear mount Pronovost snow caster as you can purchase an chute extension to keep the snow above and away from you as the snow dust will be very thick.

The more money you spend for a better mule and a wider snow caster in your purchase the less money you will spend overall as the larger engine frame mules have stronger engines.

No is saying you have to spend money on a Cadillac but spending the right money for the needed work and your comfort is number one.

Buying the high end sub compacts is an option but remember moving up one frame size will still not get you away from a hydrostatic transmission that will rob you of usable power compared to a gear drive compact tractor.

I wish I had a gear drive CUT as I would not have to fight every time dealing with the ice dams the state DOT leaves me to remove every year because they are "GOD"

Buying the high end sub compacts is an option but remember moving up one frame size will still not get you away from a hydrostatic transmission that will rob you of usable power compared to a gear drive compact tractor.

I wish I had a gear drive CUT as I would not have to fight every time dealing with the ice dams the state DOT leaves me to remove every year because they are "GOD"

I do realize that you get less power transmission with an HST, but have been assuming that, for blowing snow, the quick, easy and infinite speed changes of an HST would ***** gears. Also, I know that on my Case the HST* has been a lifesaver, but then again it may be because the blower is generally at the limit, and with "adequate" power maybe that's not an issue? Additionally I've seen several comments about how HST is "must" for snow blowing. Further thoughts?

Regarding your other points, my stoic NE/German heritage makes me want to spend as little money as possible to get the job done. If my Case had 25% more power and could throw the snow a bit further I'd be relatively happy to keep using it. Then again, a heated cab, 4WD and a loader sure would be handy. Where do you stop? I can go from spending $3-4k for a used alternative to what I've had, to $30k for my "dream" tractor. But I can't really justify spending that much for less than 20 hours use per year. OTOH, my wife would probably encourage me to spoil myself and spend the big bucks for what I really want...

Decisions, decisions.

*on the Case the snowblower PTO is directly off the front of the engine, not through the transmission - not sure if/how this makes a difference.

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go #27  
OTOH, my wife would probably encourage me to spoil myself and spend the big bucks for what I really want...

Decisions, decisions.

Got to love the that statement. Hope it comes true! Jon

/ Looking for advice on which direction to go #28  
When I snow blow I often have to change ground speed with my Kubota B7800 with RM 64" snow blower.
IMHO the hydro transmission earns it's keep when you require ground speed changes due to occasional snow drifts, or the extra deep snow bank at the end of the driveway deposited by the highway department.
With some of my snow blowing, I have to deposit the snow directly behind me on top of snow I have not snow blown yet. So 30-40 ft into this direction the snow becomes progressively deeper and ground speed must gradually be reduced, due to the extra demand being place on the snow blower.
I would not be without HST when it comes to snow blowing or mowing.

Last edited:
   / Looking for advice on which direction to go #29  
FYI, I know that L275 and it IS in great shape!
Jim

Thanks, Jimmy - I appreciate that.