Looking for an old diesel tractor

/ Looking for an old diesel tractor #1  

westernhunter

Tractor
none yet
Hi. We are buying a farm, our first, and I want a cool old diesel tractor just for fun. I will be buying a newer tractor for working, so I am seeking advice about an old, nostalgic tractor just to play with. I want something big enough to pull an 18' hay wagon for hay rides with the local kids and families when we entertain.

What size tractor is good for hay rides in addition to pulling a brush hog or other smaller implements? Remember, I will also be buying a bigger tractor for more serious work.

Thanks!

/ Looking for an old diesel tractor #2  
Hi. We are buying a farm, our first, and I want a cool old diesel tractor just for fun. I will be buying a newer tractor for working, so I am seeking advice about an old, nostalgic tractor just to play with. I want something big enough to pull an 18' hay wagon for hay rides with the local kids and families when we entertain.

What size tractor is good for hay rides in addition to pulling a brush hog or other smaller implements? Remember, I will also be buying a bigger tractor for more serious work.

Thanks!

If you hadn't said you wanted a diesel, I'd have recommended an old JD 2 cylinder machine. Heavily built, last forever, and good ones are reasonable. Parts are inexpensive and available, and there are a ton of support groups. Anything from a B on up would be heavy enough and have the power to pull that wagon, and the distinctive exhaust note of that 2 cylinder engine pulling strongly at about 600/900 rpm is legendary.

But the problem is that many of the good old 2 cylinders are gassers. Of course that means less soot to contend with.
I remember as a kid that diesel soot and smell was always a problem for tractors pulling hayrides.
rScotty

/ Looking for an old diesel tractor #3  
A John Deere 2020, 3020 or 4020 would be classic old diesels

Allis Chalmers D17 diesel, 170, 175, 180, 185, 190 or 195 are all old classics, I could go to sleep at night listening to any of them idling outside my bedroom windows.

Oliver xx50 tractors about the same as above. A 1950T is a pretty sweet sound

International x06, x66, x86 are durable old tractors.

Not a huge Massey Ferguson fan, grew up on them. Very durable classic machine, a 165 is a nice one.

Old White tractors

The old Ford and Case tractors I thought we’re ugly. They did their job and put good power to the pto but ugly.

Deere and International have good parts supply still. My favorites in this list would probably be the Allis Chalmers 180 and the John Deere xx20 series.

That being said I have a 1989 Ford 3910 diesel that I will be selling in the next year, 55 hp and will do all of what you listed.

/ Looking for an old diesel tractor #4  
I would recommend that you seriously think about a tractor for the listed purposes,
You could add the larger Fords to birdhunter1s list the 8000-9000 Fords.
What ever you pick for hay rides and such other activities needs to have very good brakes and enough size to easily stop and start on hills.
Also a solid Park mode or parking brake, as well as enough alternator to provide good lighting.

/ Looking for an old diesel tractor #5  
I think LouNY beat me to it. I was coming here to say that any number of old tractors have the power to get a hayride wagon moving. Stopping it is another story...