looking for best equipment to clean a mountain

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #11  
I would not use any rubber tired equipment for that type of work. You will puncture them constantly.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #12  
tcartwri said:
I would not use any rubber tired equipment for that type of work. You will puncture them constantly.

Not true. R4s hold up very well in brush and slash clearing. Agree you don't do this type of work with R1s though.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #13  
You can rent a Cat 953 track loader with a 6 way bucket for about 7k for a month, you could probably do most everything with that and then get 35hp or so tractor to do the grubbing and fine grading. keep in mind that Cat will burn 1000 gallons of fuel in that one month.
Of course you have to have that month of free time.:D

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #14  
I have to agree, that sounds like a huge job. Are you planning to clear all 96 acres??? Or are you just trying to open an acre or two and some trails? If you are planning a lot of clearing, I say big earth moving equipment to get the job done. While a CUT will get the job done, it will take a long time. I'm not a fan of hiring out and paying someone else what I would rather do plus 'save' money. I had a dozer come in to make a trail last year and after paying him for a 1.5 days, he didn't do a very good job and he messed up where he said he wouldn't have any sinking issues - I thought he would and was right. If I was in your shoes and had the money, I would consider buying some big equipment for the fun of clearing up the place but I'm talking a dozer and an excavator with a grapple. That's a whole lot of money and if they break down, you need to be a good diesel mechanic.

So it all depends on your timeline and how much of the land you want to clear up. If you're not pressed for time and don't need to clear all 96 acres, buy yourself a nice decent size CUT (40-50hp) with a grapple.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #15  
I'm curious why you would need to clear the entire 96 acres. Is there something you plan to do with the land that requires all 96 acres to be cleaned.

If there is a reason to have all 96 acres cleared, you're gonna need some pretty big equipment to not just clean it initially, but keep it cleaned. With a small tractor (ex. 50hp), you're going to be constantly trying to just keep a portion of the land clean. Once you get so far, the bit you started with will start to get overgrown if it really brushy and full of fast growing saplings.

I don't live in a mountanous area, but tractors can get tippy on slopes, particularly when you're using a loader (there was a thread in the last week or so with links to safety videos of tractors tipping over, you should check it out). I like the idea of hiring a dozer operator to come out and do some of the job, particularly the challenging areas. I also like the idea of using a winch to pull the mess to you rather than trying to drive it out with a tractor.

If a tractor fits what you're looking for, I'd look for something in the utility class rather than compact utility. They tend to be built heavier and offer more power for pulling. I have a M7040SUD for 40 acres (3/4 wooded, 1/4 field). For moving snow, pulling stuff, and loader work, the extra size helps quite a bit. And 4 wheel drive is a big help, particularly in sloped areas when using the loader (it's very challenging to back up going uphill with a full loader in 2wd).

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #16  
The first thing is to decide whether you want to work with your land, and improve it gradually with trails, etc. or whether you want to "dominate" it, and eliminate all the brush, etc. in a short time. I have enjoyed working with my land immensely. I putter along, and keep an eye on how the things I do affect the wild life there, etc. It will take some doing to manicure that much land. Don't forget that what we view as brush, and briers is heaven to rabbits, and other small game / birds that we also enjoy having around so I would leave at least some pockets, perhaps near water, and just kind of enjoy what happens there as the normal cycle of change takes place. For that much land you will want some hp, and weight. I would look at the Kioti DK series like Islandtractor's DK45, the Kubota grand L, or MX series, the JD 4105, or perhaps the fancier equivalant, Massey's, etc.

I went the opposite way with something small enough to fit between all my boulder obstacles, etc., but I am working on a miniature scale of your land too. With no weight I have to be careful, and have fewer options, but my trails have to be very narrow in places because of VW sized rocks, etc.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #17  
Any advice?
thanks, it is really great to find an active forum.

I'll get flamed for this, but for what you need to do, my advice would be to get a tracked excavator w/ front blade. The bigger the better. I don't think a tractor is the right tool for the job. A tractor is more a maintenance tool - you need a new-construction tool. Once the mountain is tamed, THEN sell the excavator and buy a tractor.

JayC

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #18  
I have a few areas that are hilly to a varying degree. My previous experience has been with an old MF 35 & a bush hog. I currently have a Kubota MX5100 4WD with FEL that I'm becoming acquainted with. I have previously cleared some areas and I am more in a maintenance mode now. Hills and ground irregularities are bad combinations. A FEL is great for many things, but there are limits when compared to more specialized equipment, and a FEL changes the balance of the tractor, not to mention having a few more feet in front of your tractor to bump into things. Use the right tool for the job, expect the unexpected and take it easy. Surprises will happen, and they will happen quickly.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #19  
Knowing how steep of a slope you want to work on would help a lot. I have a mountain top property with flat ground on top. I can comfortably work on the bulldozer cut driveway, the semi flat bulldozer cleared yard area and the house pad cut into the hill be excavators. I can not work on the 30 degree hillside with my tractor. I need a tracked equipment to work there.

/ looking for best equipment to clean a mountain #20  
i would get a jd 5410 4x or bigger tractor with the power reverser and cast rear wheels.then get a jd loader and a brown 6 ft cutter.brown cutters are the best for clearing.then i would get the us forestry service to burn off the land that you want to clear ,they do this for a small fee.if you want to clear a large area then the cheapest way is to hire a dozer with a shear blade and rake.if the hills are steep set the tires all the way out. the cub tractor is to small .