looking for blower chute advice

/ looking for blower chute advice #11  
An inch seems like a lot. Do the impeller extensions flex enough to handle 1/4" to 1" variance?

/ looking for blower chute advice #12  
Either way I'd work on the chute first.

/ looking for blower chute advice
Wow, impressive job with the restoration, I thought it was new equipment.
Did you sand blast, or just spend a sh*tload of time with a wire wheel or something???

Thanks, wire wheel, sanding disc, throw away paint brush & rollers :laughing:
I did weld in an additional auger support in between each factory one on the bottom auger. As a wild guess, I thought it might help feed and stiffen things up where the rocks, firewood & ice will be:laughing:

Thanks both of you, I have some (maybe) 14ga. sheet. I'll fab up some bracket's (6?) to weld on with a nut welded to it on the outside of the chute, at that point the new "panel" will just be a bolt on thing that will be easy to modify if necessary.
Man is it going to be hard to break that new paint!

/ looking for blower chute advice #15  
Yyou can google search for "Clarences small engines" he is in Sault St. Marie Canada and he accepts plastic money for payment for his impeller kits and the last time I checked he had a 30 day guarantee on the impeller kits he makes.

/ looking for blower chute advice #16  
No worries, the paint will forgive you as long as you use lots of fluid film.

Be very careful of any and all garden hose and extension cord snakes as
they are down right vicious this time of year as they dont tolerate being
woken up from hibernation.

If you are concerned about unplugging it you could simply cut a slot for each bolt on the short sides to allow the door to be pulled out when the nuts are loosened-provided you weld the bolt heads to the chute.

I don't think you will need more than four bolts to do this. You could weld the 3 bolts together with a small narrow piece of strap iron top hold them in place and just loosen the nits to remove the door as needed as long as you use fine threaded nylock nuts or loctite the fine thread bolts and nuts provide more strength in use and greater holding power.

Another option would be to use just 2 fine thread nuts and bolt sets with washers for the top and hold the bottom in place with a wrap around bungee cord as the cord would not be exposed to wear stresses.

you could leave the top bolts close enough to the top of the chute to allow them to be tight and also be able to loosen them a little to raise the door to make it easier to remove any snow plugging the chute.

I just skimmed through this the first time. Re read, these are excellent ideas leonz.:thumbsup:

/ looking for blower chute advice #18  
Hello FatTire,

The small pieces of thick conveyor belt will flex and wipe the
impeller housing clean. The sheet metal retainers have slots in them if
I remember correctly. I cannot use them as I have a three paddle
plastic impeller on this JD(RAD) 42 inch snow caster.

Have you had time to coat the chutes and snow cutting disc scoops on the Unimog
with fluid film? About the way it smells its made from the Lanolin taken from
sheeps wool-don't worry the flock will will forgive you :^)

I wish it was a single stage snow caster but the way they have
these vertical crankshaft engines in these things it eliminates any possibility
of having one unless you build your own and have a second engine
hanging off the back to power it.

its a real shame

/ looking for blower chute advice #19  
Thanks, wire wheel, sanding disc, throw away paint brush & rollers :laughing:
I did weld in an additional auger support in between each factory one on the bottom auger. As a wild guess, I thought it might help feed and stiffen things up where the rocks, firewood & ice will be:laughing:

I can appreciate how long that probably took. I did an 8 foot packing bar for a snowcat the summer before last. I had it on pallets next to the driveway for what seemed like half the summer. Whenever we had some spare power (we're off-grid) and I had some extra time, I'd go over and work it for a while.

Ha Ha, I had it on saw horses for about a whole summer. If it weren't right in front of the shop……….. Hard to have snow blower painting motivation in the blazing sun.
DSCN8004.JPG