Buying Advice Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase
No that mower is $2200 at the dealer. I've just accepted that I need to spend more than I initially thought and hopefully I'll have fewer headaches and wont have to replace it as soon.

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase #22  
Welcome to TBN!

As jenkins and others have said, go for a Garden Tractor variety - John Deere 318-316 or Cub Cadet 1810-1811, or newer Cub are 2550 and 3000 series. You can find them for $1500-2000 range and when new they were $4-5K. It might take some more time to find these but they do show up on CL like this one IH Cub Cadet 1100 Garden Tractor

Look for a shaft drive, hydrostatic, and 300-600 hours on the clock.

Your other choices are to get a inexpensive used Craftsman - $500-700 range, like the DYT4000 24HP 46" deck - my neighbor bought one for $600 and we went thru it - blades, oil change, valve adjust and it runs like new now.

Thank you Carl_NH,
That mower on craigslist is certainly close enough to me, but like I've said previously I've never used one before and would feel more comfortable buying new, also I'm going to be financing the tractor and would have to come up with cash for a private sale.

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase #24  
Dpuro,

Then I think the best option in your price range is the Husky YT46LS or better in my opinion is the YT42XLS with the 11 Gauge fabricated deck - yes its more, but it's 572 lbs vs 455 for the YT46LS as it has more HD components.

My neighbor has the YT46LS with the standard deck and I have worked on it a few times and know you would be better off with the XLS series with the fabricated deck and heavier construction.

Or Sears has the GT5000 I think for $2199 as a refurb, and $2699 new but with stamped deck.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your help and wisdom. I ended up buying the Husqvarna YT46LS and its getting delivered Tues.

As much as I liked the YT42XLS I couldn't justify the higher tractor and bagger costs.

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase #27  
Well congrats on your new machine - be sure to post some pics here when you get it!

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase #28  
Congrats!

Take it easy on those hills. If they are steep, up and down mowing is the safest way. If you ever feel tippy, turn downhill into the tip, not uphill.

A lot of people swear by putting Stabil in their gas cans every time you buy gas. The green marine Stabil is thought to be better than the standard red Stabil. I've been using it and I'm not having problems. I would still recommend running the gas tank dry if the mower is going to sit unused, like when you put it away in the fall. I dump gas that is getting old into the car and get fresh gas for the mower, generator, etc.

/ Looking for help/advice with first riding mower purchase #29  
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your help and wisdom. I ended up buying the Husqvarna YT46LS and its getting delivered Tues.

Congrats on your new mower. That differential lock will be useful on those hills.