Looking for Hy-tran Replacement

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #1  

tkcomer

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3039R
I was at the Case-IH dealer looking for some Hy-tran/Hy-tran plus for a Case-IH 685 tractor. Dealer says that Case-IH no longer makes it. They only have Hy-tran Ultra, which is not compatible with my brakes. So they said. Told me I can only get it through the aftermarket. They have an aftermarket brand, but I wasn’t sure about it. I admit, I haven’t begun to look, but what is a good aftermarket brand?

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #2  
I used the hytrans ultra in place of the required hy-trans in my 72 IH dozer. The jug of ultra tells you that it is the replacement for the old hytrans as I recall. Really, I can't even imagine why utf can't be used but I was worried about touble and since the regular HT is red, I didn't think the UTF would work. Well, the HT ultra is red too.

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #3  
Dye addatives aside.. check a bottle of your favorite utf, and see if hytrans compatibility is mentioned. Both TSC and wallmart sell cheap utf.. There is some viscosity difference.. though it is mentione dont he bottle. I havn't had a problem in my fords with either flavor of UTF.

Soundguy

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #4  
Huh! I sell it the same for that model tractor! Haven't heard of that one. I've been experimenting some with the synthetics but their is no comparable in petroleum base oils as it's been the best for years and the ultra just keeps them up there! Get the ultra!

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement
I have some Case-IH Hy-Tran Ultra for another tractor. It doesn’t mention being a replacement for Hy-Tran or list any specs for it. Dealer Sells a McCormick fluid that lists it as a Hy-Tran replacement fluid. He claims you shouldn’t use the Ultra in my tractor. And the tractor manual doesn’t list Hy-Tran Ultra at all. Of course, Ultra might have not been out in ’90. The dealer just said Ultra was not good for my brakes. It was fine for everything else but my brakes might get grabby and wear faster. Never thought about looking for that stuff at TSC. I’ll check it out the next time I’m in town.

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #6  
I was at TSC Friday and their premium fliuid was $29.98 for a 5 gallon bucket. I have been using this in my old IH2444 for about 4 years with no problems. The 2444 has a ommon tranny and hydraulic sump. Mine does however have dry brakes, but should not be a problem with wet brakes.

Ben

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #8  
Been using the same in my old International Harvester 3444, with 3141 backhoe. Used to buy Family Farm and fleet for $18, 5 gal. pail. Thought it was a bit thick, think 15, or 20 weight. Was OK in the spring, summer, and fall, but in the winter it would pop off the backhoe's relief valves. Now that Family Farm being absorbed by Tractor Supply I buy the TS brand hydraulic-transmission oil in 5 gal pails. Works better, and is a bit thinner, think a 10 weight. Last year it was going for $25, 5 gal pail, then they had 6 gal pails for $25. I bought 12, and am ready for the life of the hoe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement
I was at TSC 2 days ago. Their Premium was about 30 bucks for 5 gallons and it did mention being a replacement for Hy-Tran. They also had Pennzoil. I think it was a little over 40 bucks. It also mentioned being a replacement for Hy-Tran. Is Pennzoil worth the extra money? I’m used to buy my hydro oil at the local New Holland dealer but he closed. I think it was something like NH-134 but it was a Hy-Tran replacement also. I haven’t changed hydro oil in several years since I only put about 100 hours a year on this tractor. So an extra 25 bucks isn’t going to break me if the gang thinks the Pennzoil brand is better.

/ Looking for Hy-tran Replacement #10  
<font color="blue"> Their Premium was about 30 bucks for 5 gallons and it did mention being a replacement for Hy-Tran. </font>

That's what I use in my tractor. TSC Hy-Tran works very well. I say save the extra money for something else.