Looking for information/generic manual for a metal cutting bandsaw

/ Looking for information/generic manual for a metal cutting bandsaw #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Back in the early (19)80's my father purchased a Champion Tools metal cutting bandsaw.
He took care of his things so it is still in good shape; but it's out of adjustment and needs a new blade, both of which I am uncertain how to address. There is no model number on it, just a label : Champion Machine Tools; HEAVY DUTY BANDSAW; MFG DATE 1981; SERIAL NO 0406; MADE IN TAIWAN
The closest I've been able to find to the manufacturer is the "Champions Machine Tool Sales", based down in Texas. The above is taken from the email which I sent them two months ago; needless to say, they never responded.

This will probably be a simple thing to set up; but any pointers will be helpful.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Bandsaw1.GIF
    Bandsaw1.GIF
    63.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Bandsaw2.GIF
    Bandsaw2.GIF
    78.5 KB · Views: 86
   / Looking for information/generic manual for a metal cutting bandsaw #4  
I have a couple of those saws, one's an early 80's vintage - any of their manuals should help with general stuff, but be aware - their newer ones (even if you COULD get parts) have crappy aluminum blade guide carriers - the earlier ones used actual cast iron, tend to hold settings much better.

There's a bit more info on page 3 and 4 of this thread
Off-Road Bandsaw - Shop Floor Talk
including a different way to get good alignment for straight cuts.

BTW, you want a 64-1/2" x 1/2" blade, not sure if I have a PN# for the blade guide bearings but you'll probably need some. You also should pull the top off the gear case and see what that looks like - the gears are typically some type of brass or bronze, and should NOT be lubed with any sulphur based gear oil -
This
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UU9V8A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
is what I use on anything with non-ferrous parts. When you're looking inside the gearbox, check for any gritty stuff mixed with whatever lube is left - if you feel any, you should flush the box and gears with a good solvent, dry it out thoroughly before adding the new lube.

Be REALLY CAUTIOUS when feeling inside the gearbox with fingers - if there's much wear on the worm gear it can be RAZOR SHARP :eek:

If you intend to use the saw very much, I would NOT recommend wasting your money on HF's blades - Starrett or other name brand bi-metal will hold up much better.

HTH... Steve

/ Looking for information/generic manual for a metal cutting bandsaw #5  
The closest I've been able to find to the manufacturer is the "Champions Machine Tool Sales", based down in Texas. The above is taken from the email which I sent them two months ago; needless to say, they never responded.

This will probably be a simple thing to set up; but any pointers will be helpful.

Thank you.

I have exactly the same saw but I don't think I've ever seen a manual for it. I've literally cut thousands of feet of metal with it, and made a ton of money with it. Sure, it's a clunker, but it definitely has served me well. Only thing I ever do for it is to refill the oil reservoir about once every 4 or 5 years, and put on a new blade on occasion.
Blade for mine is 64 1/2" x 1/2". I keep several tooth sizes in stock because they're sometimes hard to find in the length size needed. Precision cutting is NOT one of its qualities, but good enough is "GOOD ENOUGH".

/ Looking for information/generic manual for a metal cutting bandsaw
Wouldn't you know, my mother found the manual in some obscure corner. I've only been trying to put my hands on it for two years. It's pretty basic though, and I've learned more from this thread ( BukitCase, those are very helpful links) than I did from the original manual.
When my father bought it nearly 40 years ago I thought that he was buying a piece of junk.
Sure, it's a clunker, but it definitely has served me well.
Yes, and he got a lot of use out of it. It's still in good shape and will do anything I need it for. "good enough" is as good or better than my talents. :embarrassed:
The main frame is indeed cast, and since it was made with generic parts I shouldn't have any problem if I need to replace something. :thumbsup: