Looking for lawn tractor advice

/ Looking for lawn tractor advice #1  

rfriverrat

Tractor
Husqvarna
I'm looking to replace my old JD 318 and am looking for some advice.

I am not in a position to spend $3000-$5000 at this point and am trying to find a good trractor to meet my needs. Last year I bought an Allis-Chalmers and it turned out to be piece of garbage, The transmission failed in the first 30 minutes and I ended up having it picked up and returned for a full refund.

This time I'm looking at a Husqvarna YTH24K48. It has a 24 HP Kohler V-Twin Courage engine. I have a large yard a hill with fairly decent incline. I also happen to be 6'5" and weigh 275 pounds.

Is this mower going to have the power to to handle this incline with my large girth sitting on top of it and get me through several mowing seasons?

Any insight would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

/ Looking for lawn tractor advice #2  
Just a quick thought. Your budget doesn't put you in a Deere X340 or above class. My problem with most the lawn tractors in the more budget class, even those up to $3000K, only add more bells and whistles, but are pretty much smoke and mirrors. Just my opinion, but I want a REAL hydro-trans that isn't a sealed, non-serviceable unit.

If you know, and we could look it up together, I suppose, but which hydro unit is used in that Husky?

For $1800? My guess is that this mower is going to disappoint.

/ Looking for lawn tractor advice #3  
I'm a good sized chap myself and do a lot of mowing on steep slopes. By far the best lawn tractor for this type of stuff that I have used is the Gravely 16-G that I presently own. It weighs 1,300 pounds and the engine is under the seat for a low center of gravity. It has a 16 HP Briggs Vanguard engine. 16 HP doesn't sound like much but when coupled with an 8 speed transmission the 16 HP works fine. They don't make these anymore but I have seen some nice used ones for sale in your price range.

/ Looking for lawn tractor advice #4  
I've been looking at the husky mowers too. I think you have to get the GT with the 52" deck if you want the hydro gear 730 with the spin on filter. I had a GTX 54" Cub and it did well with my 280 pounds. It had that 730 trans in it. Look for a ground engaging rating.

/ Looking for lawn tractor advice #5  
Okay I bought a CC at Home Depot. its a 1046 with a 20 horse Kohler engine. I mow about 4 acres with this and have one field that is fairly steep. I got it in 06 and have not had any issues with it other than a replaced battery. I have replaced 3 belts and a set of blades but that is because I'm mowing in some really thick stuff or it's nw wet. I think I paid around 2k at the time, one of those 0 interest buys if you pay it off in a year. I peaked at 235 and back around 200 now.